Entrance and Exit on Dublin Buses.

Northerngirl

Can someone please explain the reasons why you enter and exit at the front of a Dublin Bus?? When living in London I regularly used public transport where you enter the bus at the front and pay your money, ring the bell at the stop you want and leave by the exit half way down the bus. I get so frustrated and annoyed to see tourists missing their stop as they have been waiting at the exit, and the bus driver not stopping as the person has not stood at the entrance of the bus. To make it even more confusing the pseudo-exit doors have 'EXIT' displayed! When the bus is crowded it is nearly impossible to battle your way to the front, through standing passengers.
Also why do you have to pay exact fair and Bus Drivers not have change?

Re paying the exact fare this was brought in a few years ago to speed up people getting onto the bus and ensuring the drivers had no money on them, I assume to cut down on robberies. You get a refund ticket if you pay over what your fare is and you can send it in to Dublin Bus and get back your change (i've done this). It's a good enough system.

Re the exit & entrance doors - no idea why they only very rarely use them - my theory is to stop people chancing their arm by getting on at the middle doors thus getting away without having to pay? I have seen them used as exits a few times when the bus is VERY full with people standing everywhere...

M

Can someone please explain the reasons why you enter and exit at the front of a Dublin Bus??
Because many of the buses, especially the newer ones [broken link removed], have only a front door - unless you expect people to use the emergency exits or something? None of the buses that I have caught lately had centre doors.

Maybe because chancers will try to sneak on through the middle doors without paying?

As far as I remember hearing, when Dublin Bus tried to bring this in years ago, the drivers asked for more money 'for the increased responsibility'.*
Dublin Bus said no, so the doors remained unused.

*Increased responsibility claimed because they couldn't keep an eye on what was happening at the centre doors properly and warn passengers - "Watch out for that bike there love" etc.

But that might be just a rumour.

Back