entitlements during unpaid additional maternity leave

Henny Penny

Hi,
Just a quick question I hope someone here can help. Under the terms of my employment, I am entitled to 5 days of study leave when attending a course directly related to my employment. My staff handbook states that leave is granted at the disgretion of the employer.
I am in year 3 of a degree. I have recently returned from maternity leave (including unpaid additional maternity leave) and my employer has notified me that my entitlement to study leave is to be pro-rataed because I took the unpaid additional maternity leave.
The employer has not pro-rataed study leave for any other employeee in the past. Can they do this??? I understood that all rights and entitlements (excluding pay) were protected while on maternity leave?
Thanks in advance of the very helpful replies.

Last edited:
If the study leave of 5 days is at the discretion of your employer then I don't think they are obliged to give it to you regardless of other employees getting it. they are covering themselves.

If other employees have been granted the full study leave, you are either entitled to the same or you're not. They can't 'worsen' your conditions due to being on maternity leave.

Your employer can refuse the study leave for other reasons, for example, if pressure of work is such that they cannot cover for your absence in the time you want it.

If you had been on sick leave for 6 months your employer could quite reasonably refuse the study leave altogether.

Back