Entitled to any benefits?

C

chris2404

Hi, I am a 23 year old living at home with my parents and currently working about 20 hours a week in a supermarket. This can change a little each week depending on the roster. I generally work 2 nights a week for 4 hours per night then another 8 hours on a Saturday and a few hours on a Sunday. My average wage is usually between E100 - E160 a week of which I pay rent to my parents and pay back a E2000 loan I took out for college. I have worked in the supermarket for about 5 years except for a year off in 2005 when I worked full time for a different company as part of my work experience year in college.

I now wish to find a full time job. Ideally I would like to leave my job in the supermarket and concentrate on finding a full time job and taking my exams.

Would I be entitled to collect the dole for a few weeks while I look for a new job even though I left my job voulentarily? Or would I have to wait untill I finished my exams even though I am available to take up a full time job as I am not attending classes (just taking exams). Finally, is it possible to claim any back dated benefits for working 3 days a week for the last year or so?

Many thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Re: Entitled to any benifits?

I now wish to find a full time job. Ideally I would like to leave my job in the supermarket and concentrate on finding a full time job and taking my exams.

You will not be entitled to Jobseeker's Benfit until after the exams as you are not available for work due to study. I think you're best bet is to stay working until exams are over and then start looking for full-time work. Obviously, SW would not pay you if you will be giving up a perfectly good job for the sole reason to look for another so best to hold onto what you ahve after the exams too! Good luck in the hunting!

Thanks for the reply. So if I left my job now to study and concentrate on my exams would I be able to then claim any benefits once I finish my final exam and start looking for a full time job?

Yeah. If you leave your job of your own accord, you MAY be disqualified up toi 9 weeks form the date of elaving. So the period will be more or less up by the time your exams are over adn you should go in and sign after the final exam. You might need proof of finishing, such as the exam timetabel to show them that you are finished.

Back