Entering Nursing Home, keeping Medical Card.

Darthvadar

Hi All.

May have to place my darling mum in a Nursing Home. I'm totally heartbroken. Have cared for her through Renal Failure and Parkinson's for seven years. She's getting more frequent infections, and this time, her memory just switched off last Sunday!. Got a fracture to her knee following a stumble, too.

Hosp. seem to think that this may be a long-term/forever issue. Consultant mentioned Nursing Home at least in the short term, but mentioned it probably becoming long-term. I hope he's wrong, but I'm trying to be prepared for him being right.

As well as the emotional issues (I haven't stopped crying for hours), I'm worried about one big issue. My mum is a Medical Card Holder, and as such gets items like assistive equipment, Chiropody, Physio, and her expensive Incontinence Products, etc. supplied by the HSE.

I understand that the payments to the Nursing Homes under the Fair Deal scheme do not include such items. I am hoping that Mum can keep her Medical Card IF she needs long-term care, so she can still receive such goods and services in the home. Does anyone know if this is the case, please?. I think it would help me to sleep just a little better if I knew that her Medical Card remains intact.

Thank you in advance.

Darth.

Sorry to hear that your mother has to go to full time care. You have done a wonderful job by caring for her for so long. She now needs professional care and as lay people (with the best will in the world) we are not qualified to do that.

Why on earth would she loose her medical card if she is already entitled to one.

Thank you so much, Black Sheep. I hope you're right. She's a widow, and I'm on DA, there's no way we could afford those things she needs. It MAY not come to this, but I'm trying to cover such eventuality. I get the horrible feeling that if it doesn't happen sooner, it will later.

God bless, and thank you again for taking the time to reply.

Darth.

Last edited:
Thank you very much, HelloHello. That looks reassuring. I really appreciate you taking the time to investigate this for me.

I'm STILL hoping (perhaps in vain!) that this won't have to happen. Maybe the HSE will finally deliver an appropriate Home Care Package (and pigs may fly!), but I'll live in hope!.

Thank you again.

God bless.

Darth.

There is homecare packages available and sometimes it is easier to access them when you are being discharged from hospital, it proberly depends what area you are in. Fight tooth and nail for what you want and best of luck.

I'm fighting for an appropriate package for a long time now, HH. The situation's complicated by Mum needing dialysis three times a day (administered by me for several years), and none of the providers wanting to do it. Also me being a wheelchair user means I'm more restricted in what I can do than most. I REALLY want her at home, though. Think I'll turn the thumbscrews again!. I hate to even consider this, but if it comes to it, a call to a certain afternoon radio show may be in order!.

Thank you again.

God bless.

Darth.

Who do you kick up fuss with if you are trying to get some homecare help for someone? Sorry for butting in on your thread but as you are dealing with this issue at the moment you may know, would appreciate any info.

Wbbs, Don't apologise. We're all in this situation, why not share?. The hosp. Social Worker's doing battle on our behalf with the Director of Services for Older People, and the local person who arranges the packages. Wasn't having any luck until now, but this new crisis may change things. I'll keep you informed. Would appreciate it if you'd do likewise about your quest. Maybe we could all learn from each other.

Good luck in your battle.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Darth.

Hi Darthvadar,

my relative is in a nursing home under the Fair Deal scheme with a medical card. Your mum will keep hers regardless of being at home or not.

Thank you, Steiner. That's great to know. One less worry to tick off the list!.

Thank you for your time.

God bless.

Darth.

Back