Entering incorrect pin number at Supermarket checkout

pudds

Hope it's ok to post this here. Recently I entered the third 2nd or 3rd digit and new it was wrong, my instinct was to immediately press the cancel button.

However a few months ago I entered the full 4 digits but the transaction was rejected and when I asked the checkout operator what to do the said just enter the pin again and bingo.

My question is if I know I have entered one or either of the first numbers incorrectly, should I just continue and so I have entered 4 digits and then will I automatically get a chance to have a second go at entering the correct pin.

Is that what I should do?

It doesn't really matter - if you definitely know, just clear it and enter again. But I think you get three goes before you are locked out.

Hit clear if you push the wrong number and just enter the right pin. I had a moment in a shop a month ago, using a card I rarely use and it has a different pin to my regular daily use card. I entered the pin wrong twice. The machine tells you that you have one attempt left to enter the correct pin.

I chickened out trying a third time and used a different card to finish the transaction.

Hope it's ok to post this here. Recently I entered the third 2nd or 3rd digit and new it was wrong, my instinct was to immediately press the cancel button.

However a few months ago I entered the full 4 digits but the transaction was rejected and when I asked the checkout operator what to do the said just enter the pin again and bingo.

My question is if I know I have entered one or either of the first numbers incorrectly, should I just continue and so I have entered 4 digits and then will I automatically get a chance to have a second go at entering the correct pin.

Is that what I should do?

You have three attempts to get the PIN correct - that's hitting the "enter" button three times.

Before you hit "enter", if you know you have entered an incorrect digit you have two options - "clear" which clears all digits you have entered and you start again, and "back" which is essentially backspace (you can back up any number of digits). Neither of these will count against your three attempts

It's the same for Chip and PIN machines and ATM's

Back