Enlarge a gable end window as part of extension/renovation

islander222

Hi,
Looking for some advice on planning rules for this.
We're undertaking a small rear extension with a kitchen renovation (extension is exempt from planning as its a lot smaller than the 40m2 limit) . The kitchen will be in the middle on one end of the house with a new living room at the rear and the kitchen will have its existing gable end window which is smallish (1100h x 900w). We are now thinking of widening that window - maybe doubling the width. We have no neighbours on either side and that gable end faces onto thick mature trees/bushes that are as high as the house (and are on my property).
Would I need to apply for planning for that? I'd rather not go through that process so we just wouldn't bother changing it at all if we needed to.
Thanks,

kitchen will be in the middle on one end of the house with a new living room at the rear and the kitchen will have its existing gable end window which is smallish (1100h x 900w).
You can't develop onto the gable without planning permission.

You can't develop onto the gable without planning permission.
If Leo is correct then why not apply for planning just for the gable window. You might receive the permission by the time the builders get to install it. I've been looking at recent planning decisions and there's one that received permission for a very small gable window that is directly opposite the front of a nearby house (about 20 metres away from the front door), despite the fact that the resident of that house objected to the gable window. However, if there are no houses to the side of the gable end of the house then I would think you could just go ahead and install the new window.

Back