English language scholarships in Ireland

cbruen1

I have an ex-colleague that wants to study in Ireland and is wondering if there are any English language scholarships available. She's from Mongolia so in terms of visas etc I don't know if that has any bearing on her ability to move to or study in Ireland.

She was studying a Masters in environmental engineering in Prague but there was a mix up with her visa and she had to return home, so ideally she would like to continue her Masters course somewhere in Europe and is checking what the options are in Ireland. Engineering might not be an option so failing that she would try for an English course of some sort.

She doesn't have much of a budget so wants to know what if any scholarships are available. I looked at scholarships for engineering but I didn't find out much.. I know nothing about this whole area though so I may not have been looking in the right places.

So if anyone has some tips or could point me somewhere with more info I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
As Engineering is her first choice I suggest she contacts the Schools of Engineering directly in the Universities she would like to attend.
The best engineer I ever met was a woman from Mongolia. She also knew more about organic chemistry than the organic chemist who was as the meeting (that guy had a PhD.) and more about Metallurgy than the metallurgist. She looked about 20 but was in her early 30's.

This person is pretty smart also. During her Prague studies she was accepted for a placement at a Swiss university for a semester from a lot of high caliber applicants.

I already looked at quite a few of the university sites for any kind of engineering scholarships but didn't have any luck. I'm guessing it would be pretty expensive to do a Masters as a foreign student in Ireland so the only way she could afford it would be some kind of scholarship. I'll keep trying though maybe something will turn up.

From what I remember in the past there are or used to be a lot of private colleges that teach English in Ireland and I believe foreign people could come and work if they enrolled in one of these courses. I remember thought that there was some kind of crack down on these colleges a few years back so I don't know if it's still possible to do that. Just thinking about it it's probably difficult to get an English scholarship if there are so many private colleges offering paid courses for foreigners.

Back