Engineers Fee

roker

The house I am buying is only 4 years old and has Home Bond guarantee. I was quoted over €700 for an Engineer's report, in my experience in the past they have only explained the obvious details in their report like it's acavity wall with PVC windows etc. and missed other things like shower door fitted inside out, water well not covered etc. Some don't seem very competent at all, I am thinking of not hiring an Engineer the €700 + could be better used if there is a small fault and Homebound will have to fix any structural faults anyway which may not be obvious to the Engineer.

You are spending hundreds of thousands on a property and questioning a professional fee of €700 that could save you unwanted hassle in the future?

Your past home purchases may have been fine so the report just gave the basics which really meant that everything is fine but as people feel they are paying for a report and not my expert opinion, I have to give some page fillers. What you are really paying for is their ability to spot something that is wrong and highlight to you for a small price before you go spend hundreds of thousands on a faulty property.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

i know surveyors who will inspect a house and do up a report for 300 in cash , 700 is extremely expensive and in my experience many of them do little more than taking a long walk around the house , its often a box ticking exercise

guy i hired in 2012 missed issues a child would see , none were so serious as to have put me off buying but i honestly dont know what i paid him for

You are spending hundreds of thousands on a property and questioning a professional fee of €700 that could save you unwanted hassle in the future?

Your past home purchases may have been fine so the report just gave the basics which really meant that everything is fine but as people feel they are paying for a report and not my expert opinion, I have to give some page fillers. What you are really paying for is their ability to spot something that is wrong and highlight to you for a small price before you go spend hundreds of thousands on a faulty property.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

everything has a price, 700 is too high

Is it a house survey, or an engineer's report?
Most buyers get a house survey, which would be less than 700 even in Dublin.
I also had to get an engineer's report to satisfy my bank (house built in 50's, and valuer noted a crack in wall). That cost about 1200 I think.
I agree both reports were 90% boiler plate stuff, but they did look beyond what I had found.

If there is an issue, claiming on a homebound policy is notoriously difficult, would you be able to claim against the engineer if he failed to mention any issue.

If there is an issue, claiming on a homebound policy is notoriously difficult, would you be able to claim against the engineer if he failed to mention any issue.

claiming off a surveyor is easier said than done , its a bit like suing a solicitor for negligence

What is the difference between an Engineers report and a Surveyors report?
S Barrett; what are they going to find on a 4 yr old house? can they tell me if it is in a flood plane?

An engineer's report is typically more detailed, and can contain 'professional opinion' (which I needed re cracks in walk). The one I had got drainage maps from the county council, and old topology maps from before the houses were built.
A building survey is limited to a visual inspection of accessible areas of the house, and contains statements.

Both reports have 2 pages of caveats and disclaimers.

My assumption is you have a much better chance of suing an engineer than a surveyor. My bank needed details if his professional indemnity insurance along with the report.

Back