Engineer report on new build

Brego888

Hi all

I'm buying a new build home in a development where the developers offer a 10 year structural guarantee.
Is getting an engineers report still important in this scenario as it would be if buying a second hand house?

I'm guessing you're going to hand over between a quarter and half a million Euro of hard earned money to someone who might or might not be there in 10 years time. For your own peace of mind and before you buy, go and invest a couple of hundred and it might help you sleep better, it might also pick up any problems that can be fixed straight away.

They are advisable yes. It is far, far easier to have anything resolved at this stage when the builders are still engaged. There have been a few threads on here over the years where people were struggling to get anywhere making claims against these structural guarantees. A good survey will look at more than the limited scope of a structural guarantee as well.

Good few older threads on this topic here also, example.

Is an engineers report different to a snag list? or does an engineers reports cover everything?

I suppose he means would the engineer assesment also cover the snagging or would that have to be a separate report?

That's a bit harsh. It's hardly the worst question in the world. People come to forums like this when they aren't experts or even familiar with a process.

You should ask a number of surveyors what they include in their reports, and more importantly, what the exclusions are. Ask for a sample report in advance so you can see the level of detail they go into, and the typical caveats they include to protect themselves.

You may not need a structural engineer to check it out, unless there are question marks over some of the work. In many cases they will limit their scope to an opinion on the structural integrity of the building, but will not go into full snagging mode.

I bought a new build and got a snag list completed by an engineering company. 92 items on it. My query is you have to get a sang list when purchasing a new build so whats the difference between an engineers report and a snag list?? Are they just 2 different titles for the same thing??

Back