Engineer Report Issues

laura28

Hello,

I hope someone can offer some advice or guidance on a query I have. We have gone sale agreed on a property we are buying and have just completed the engineer's report. A couple of minor issues have been raised, the 2 I am most concerned about are as follows -

1. The gas boiler is fully working but old and no service record for it. Recommend a full service prior to close or have it reviewed by a plumber.
2. There is some surface wood worm in a couple of the attic beams, according to the engineer easily treated with a spray and should be done ASAP.

I have raised the above issues with our solicitors who will raise them with the vendor's solicitors prior to closing. Is there any chance of the vendor agreeing to fix the above or will we be told to jog on.....

Thanks!

The boiler is working, I cant see how they would reduce the price, old or not.. I wouldn't.
The Wood worm easily treated.. as per the Engineer..

Sounds a tad like buyers remorse, are you happy with the purchase price?
Jog on, is exactly what I would expect. But, if you dont ask, you dont get:).

jog onf me thinks.

You have gone sale agreed ... your surveyor should have spotted issues.

Gas boiler wouldn't bother me as a service wouldn't break the bank in the overall scheme of things. Also consider that the boiler could pack in and you'd have to put in a new one ....

I'd be more concerned with the woodworm on the attic. If your engineer says it will be fine once treated I'd be happy with that.

You could ring around to get a rough idea of what it would cost to get them treated and see where you're at.

Negotiating a discount on the above - unlikely but it all depends on how the purchase price was reached - on market long, other bidders etc.

You could be cheeky and ask ... all they can do is say no.

Replacing a boiler is a lot cheaper than replacing roof joists - so make sure the woodworm is only a small issue.

How old is the house? Was the roof ever replaced? etc.

At the end of the day sale agreed isn't contracts signed ... if you have buyer's remorse as LS400 says you can always pull out without penalty.

Thanks for the vies guys - no buyer's remorse here, delighted with the purchase. Just want to make sure we are not missing a trick along the way.....

We only did the survey report after we had gone sale agreed, I am assuming this is the normal practice? I guess we will ask and see what response we get. Yes, the concern is while the heating is working and a service will do - what if the boiler is on the last legs...The house was built in the 70's and never had roof replaced.

It will cost you circa €1800 to put in new boiler but it will upp your Ber rating and you will have super warm house. you can try asking for reduction on house price, you have nothing to lose by doing so.

It will cost you circa €1800 to put in new boiler but it will upp your Ber rating and you will have super warm house.

Just replacing a boiler is no guarantee of a 'super warm house'. A new boiler will most likely be more efficient, but won't necessarily have a higher heat output.

2. There is some surface wood worm in a couple of the attic beams, according to the engineer easily treated with a spray and should be done ASAP.

Best time to do this is before you move in as it can take a couple of days for the smell of the treatment to fade. You can DIY it, get a can of Protim, a good face mask (or preferably a respirator) and eye protection. Use a cheap garden knapsack sprayer, the long lance will make it a lot easier to get good coverage everywhere into the tight spaces. Spray all the timbers in the attic.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Last time we bought was a new build apartment so it's daunting taking on a large older house. It seems like such a huge commitment. But it's in the area we want and while the house is not in show home condition, that is something we can work on.

We have gone sale agreed on a property we are buying and have just completed the engineer's report. A couple of minor issues have been raised,

Is there any chance of the vendor agreeing to fix the above

Any 40 year old house is going to have some issues.

If I was the seller there would be no chance of me fixing these issues, I think I would be telling the auctioneer to actively keep the house on the market as this pair are messers.

Don’t forget you are only sale agreed, you or the vendor can pull out without penalty.

If you are delighted with the purchase I would not rock the boat on these issues.

Back