Engineer Failure

roker

I've sold our house and the engineer for the purchaser came to view, he said that there was a 6in gap in the attic under the tiles on the semi dividing wall running from the apex down to the soffit, this had been fill with fibre glass insulation material. He would not accept fireproof boarding or fire proof foam, he wanted it filled with morta but the builder said that it was too wide to do this, the the builder cemented in small blocks which is much better job but more than 2 hrs work that engineer had estimated.
What is the norm for this because fire can still spread via battens for the tiles. We also had another Engineer 2 weeks previous who never found a fault

Last edited:
I've sold our house and the engineer for the purchaser came to view, he said that there was a 6in gap in the attic under the tiles on the semi dividing wall running from the apex down to the soffit, this had been fill with fibre glass insulation material. He would not accept fireproof boarding or fire proof foam, he wanted it filled with morta but the builder said that it was too wide to do this, the the builder cemented in small blocks which is much better job but more than 2 hrs work that engineer had estimated.
What is the norm for this because fire can still spread via battens for the tiles. We also had another Engineer 2 weeks previous who never found a fault

I would not accept fire proof foam either or fiber glas insulation.
It should have been built up with another brick and then a sheet of fire proofing mineral wool placed over.

As a retrofit, I would insist on a concrete mixture fill and/or placing brick pieces onto the gap ensuring that all penetrations and holes are completely filled in.

Technical Guidance Doxument B (Fire Safety) allowed for the small battens to cross over the party wall. I’m sure the limit is 25mm from memory.

Surely the recent regulations cannot apply to older houses retrospective, it was 5 mm fire proof board that the builder wanted to use. As it is ,he did what you suggested and filled with small bricks, we must be the only house in the street with this done as all houses are the same design

Back