Engine problems, is it the coils?

morpheus

Hi all,

Engine problems in my fiat stilo, it sort of splutters when idling, well its
more sort of a chugging in a rythm when idling or when in the lower gears
moving slowly but fading when i accelerate.

Could this be the coils / plugs as a friend suggested? Its 65 euro to replace one according to
FIAT ireland.

Is this a difficult job? Ive heard once ya remove the engine
cover that its a simple unscrew a tem mm bolt, remove the coil, replace
the coil and tighten bolt,put engine cover back.

Anyone any similiar
experience with same?

My wife had a Punto a few yrs ago and both coils had to be replaced due to symptoms you describe. The ignition light came on though when hers pointed to failure. Easy to replace...2 bolts holding them on, remove and replace.

Dont go throwning ingnition coils at it....get it properly diagnosed by a Fiat dealer.
Their diagnostic equipment will show up a coil fault straight away if present.At that point by all means fit the coils yourself if you wish.
With all the rain we've ben having lately you cant rule out water conflicting with the engine looms / plug connections/air intake/fuel. Fiat always had poor wiring set up with the cars ....
save you money get it diagnosed correctly.

does you mate have a crystal ball.....if so I'll buy it from him :)

No crystal ball im afraid,

He is however a fully qualified and practising car mechanic, he had a look under the bonnet and that was his assumption.

Hate going to FIAT as they always fleece me.

'he had a look under the bonnet and that was his assumption'

question is.... are you willing to take the risk on his assumption / guess.
did your mechanic say to you 'go fit the coils at it will be fine' fiver says he didnt.

sorry for sounding negative but I hope you can see what Im driving at.

Dave

okay, i understand where your coming from, so to save us all the pain of disagreeing (and me the pain of extra costs) im booking a free check with advance pitstop for wednesday. And not that you need to be concerned with such mundane things as a complete strangers engine woes or anything but i'll update you on whether it was coils or not :D

when my wifes car had the problem, I drove it to a fiat dealer, spoke to one of the mechanics at the service desk and without lifting the bonnet, he said it was the coils.
But if you don't have the ignition light coming on, Dave T is right. My Alfa this morning for the first time in 7yrs took a few turns to get her going

Brought it to advance pitstop for a checkup, he had a look and listen and said it was probably the coils and set off to get some then phoned me an hour later to say he had replaced coils but problem had not abated.

another hour and still nothing was coming up on his computer to say there were any issues so he put my coils back in the engine (im not buying something i dont need) and handed me the car back with a bewildered look on his face and uttered the famous last words "Bring it to FIAT".

Anyone else got any suggestions? He said its a non issue unless your idling and everything else checks out.... im stumped. i guess its back to fiat after xmas.

when the headgasket starts to go on most stilo/puntos it gives a a small miss just like the start of a coil pack goin down this is usuall
y why the engine managment light is not on as the coils are checking out ok with the ecu.and the miss is caused by loss of compression on a cylinder if you go around to the exhaust while the car is idling you will hear a small popping sound from the exhaust .fiats love headgaskets

Back