Engagement rings and diamonds in Antwerp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Engagement rings and diamonds

Checkout http://www.bluenile.com/

recommended to me by my bro in the US.

Decided to go to Antwerp to get engagement ring because of all the good feedback on this post(also cheap flight on Ryanairs recent glich/deal).... Can anyone advise nice resturant/ place where a man could pop the question in Antwerp..?? as havent ask the girlfriend yet and as far as she knows she is just been whisked away....

There is a beautiful restaurant called LUX. Any taxi will take you there. Are looks dodgy but it's not at all. In actual fact it was Harold from Phillippe Harold's Jewellers shop that recommended the restaurant to us when we there a few weeks ago. We also had a fantastic engagement ring made by him. I would highlt recommend him. Our experiences of Antwerp were exactly as the first thread has put it! Good luck!

went to antwerp last week based on the advice received here to get an engagement ring. Went to Phillippe Harold's shop and it had a sign up saying closed for the week!!! Gf was distraught but there was so many other shops around that she soon got over this. We found that the best advice and personal attention we got was from a shop called 'Hearts and Arrows' which is just around the corner from Orsini's which someone mentioned earlier. Had decided on the ring etc in Hearts and Arrows but were a few hundred short of the agreed price. On the way to an ATM the gf spotted a ring in Orsini's window and fell in love with it immediately. 5 minutes later she had her ring...felt sorry for the guy in Hearts and Arrows but hope this recommendation makes up for it, kind of!!!
The value and choice over there is 2nd to none. Every 2nd shop is a diamond store around the train station area.We went to Diamond land first to get a feel for the prices and the types of rings available and then on to the smaller shops.
And it's a nice town also. We went with Ryanair to Charleroi and then took the train from there to Antwerp...about a 2hours 20minutes journey.

Last edited:
I went last week also with my GF. We went into Harold on Tuesday and spent 3 hrs with him. He's really into his diamonds!! We selected a ring and picked it up on Thursday. Everything that has been said about him here is true. He is a really nice guy.

Bought "our" ring in Antwerp at the beginning of August. Probably didn't 'save' money, as we spent the same amount as we budgeted on a better quality rock, but the same one over here is being quoted at 2,000+ higher than we paid. IMO it's well worth doing.

You may benefit from some observations: When you arrive (by train) you are in the diamond district, as evidences by the dozens of diamond shops; but we were warned not to buy in the ones around the station- they are typically smaller and cheaper looking.

Very few of the jewelers are affiliated with the Belgian Diamond sellers association; I can’t remember the name, so that was a bit off-putting. We bought in one that wasn’t a member but we had the certificate so reckoned it was OK.

If you go to some of the bigger dealers like DiamondLand you’ll see a huge range, probably more choice there than in all of Dublin put together. My advice is decide in somewhere like this what you want to get in terms of cut carat clarity etc. (and they have a huge selection of settings also) but don’t buy there, look around. When you go into a shop and can say show me a 1.2 carat, VVS1, blah blah, you will find they cut out a lot of the sales chatter and you'll get down to business much quicker.

Many of them seem to have permanent "sales" advertising up to 70% discount so there is huge scope for haggling. When you know exactly what kind of ring you want my advice is to find two or three shops where you trust them and negotiate a best price but insist that you have to leave to continue looking. And do leave. You will hear excuses that they have to return the loose diamonds to dealers (some places keep a limited stock and so ring a nearby dealer to have the diamonds you are looking delivered to the shop for your inspection) and that they cant guarantee you that it will be there when you come back, but I would say this is the only way to get their lowest price out of them.

Also they will offer fairly big discounts for part or whole payment in cash, if you don’t feel nervous about carrying 000's around with you, it’s well worth while, and I wish I had known that before I went.

Unlike here, most of them don't even think about charging you for the ring setting etc.(unless it's platinum).

One other thing to consider is the certification. The certified diamonds come in little sealed plastic boxes with certificates from HRD, DHC, IGL or some of the other diamond associations. I have seen some conflicting advice about which of them is best, some of the shops suggest that IGL has margin of error, i.e. they say your diamond is say VVS1, but that's with some margin of error +/-. So if you have it valued you might find it's slightly better or worse than you thought.
Most of the dealers take the diamond out of the boxes to examine the diamonds and show their customers. I think that’s where trust comes into play. The average person can’t tell the difference between two diamonds whose value doffer by thousands. So when you are buying you have to make sure that you get the certificate, that was at least you have proof that you bought a certain standard of diamond and if you get it valued and it turns out to be something different then you'll have some comeback, through credit card or whatever. Some of them offer to have the diamond re sealed by the certifying body for a cost of something like 25 euro, that way you can buy your diamond with confidence and take it home and have it set by your Irish jeweler or whatever.

Its also worthwhile looking around for the wedding ring to match. Looked while we were there and even though we had no intention of buying the shop came down by 1000 from the RRP on the original ticked, to about 1/3 of the price. Haggling definitely pays off. Most of them will go through the charade of typing numbers into their calculators and trying to give the impression that they're figuring out how low they can go, IMO walking out is the best tactic, you can always come back if you can’t get a better price elsewhere.

You can spend as much time looking around in the various shops around the district. We got it all done in a day but you could spend days looking around if you wanted. The shops near the main shopping st (cant remember the name of it) seem to be the best in terms of presentation etc. but not the cheapest. Orsini's seems to be the equivalent of Weirs in Dublin. The smaller shops around Diamondland and the streets near the IGL and DHC HRD buildings seemed trustworthy, but the ones near the station did seem seedier.

Antwerp itself is nice enough, but apparently there are nicer places elsewhere in Belgium where diamonds are just as affordable but I think you'll get the biggest choice in Antwerp. Other shopping is fairly standard city centre fare, no cheaper than Dublin as far as I could see.

Don't go diamond shopping at the end July/ early Aug as this is when the dealers go on holidays. We were lucky in that some of them were opened, but a week later we would have had more choice.

For travel details on getting to Antwerp, see posts above.

how can you trust some one in antwerp?as some one already said there is a big problem with dodgy dealers there.
how do you know the cert you are getting is the cert for this stone.?it could be from a different stone.if i am spending thousands i want come back.i dont fancy having any success in a action against a jewellers overseas.
1ct G Si , but ths Si's position can alter diamonds look and cost.
I guess the important thing is that the wearer is in love with it.

Myself and my other half went to Antwerp to purchase an engagement ring after reading this thread. It was a great experience. Went to all of the shops listed in the Antwerp Diamond Jewellers Association. Also had a good look in Orsini's. Herself wanted a Marquis cut with side tapers.

Ended up buying a custom made ring from Harold Philippe. [broken link removed]

Would highly recommend this option. Harold's attention to detail is excellent. He ensured that we fully understood what we were buying.

Value and quality is also excellent. Was stunned to see what 2K could buy in comparision to Ireland.

Antwerp is also a nice place to spend a few days. Very easy to get around as the public transport system is light years ahead of Ireland's. Also traveled over to Brugge. Well worth a visit.

Very easy to get to Antwerp.........see the posts above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am beginning to sound interested in the idea of following some of the above posters example. A big concern with me however is the certification process and whether or not it guarantees that a person is not buying 'blood diamonds'. Do the dealers have to tell you where the diamond came from or where it was cut. I believe that many diamonds are cut in Israel, a country that hasn't the best human rights record either.
I'd be grateful for some advice.

Hi Mikedarby,

Am going over to Antwerp with the future mrs to buy a ring on 21 May but I've been doing a lot of research beforehand.

Talked to Philipe Harold and Paul Class (Orsini Diamonds) and also looked into the whole Antwerp diamond thing.

There are only a few shops that are certified by the Antwerp Diamond Association to sell diamonds - these guys are absolutely guaranteeing proper certification and non conflict diamonds.

A large proportion of diamonds are cut in India - so chances are most are on slave/extreme poverty wage (although I can't confirm that at all, just an personal conclusion).

If you were to buy a diamond in Dublin - chances are it came from Antwerp anyway so same issue with cutting it in India applies.

While I have some reservations about the cutting stage in India re exploitation I can't confirm this at all, and to my shame, the want for a nice diamond for my partner is more important to me than my principals on an unconfirmed feeling.

Therefore we're going to Antwerp to spend my hard earned cash on a diamond and ring.

I'll report back in a few weeks with how we got on.

I dont get this whole conflict free thing about Diamonds. If you understood the industry, you'd know that 'Blood Diamonds' is a typical Hollywood movie. Whilst there is some truth to the movie regarding Sierra Leone, civil war and Diamond smuggling, the civil war is over now for quite some time. The answer to these problems is not by refusing to buy the diamonds, its just not that simple.

If you still feel guilty, donate 10% of your savings from buying the ring in Antwerp to a worthy charity and actually make a difference rather than worrying about your (capitalist) diamond is conflict free or not!

My partner and I arrived back from Antwerp this week with a beautiful diamond ring! We purchased it from Harold at Philipe Harold after reading earlier posts on this thread. He went to great efforts to find the exact diamond we were looking for. We were very impressed with his level of service and the personal attention he gave. Thanks to everybody on this thread who contributed information to buying engagement rings in Antwerp as it certainly saved us from being ripped off.

Hi all,

Just back from the lovely Antwerp and it was great.

Firstly re the ring:
Phillipe Harold spent over 2hrs going through everything (this was after we'd been emailing him beforehand) so I'd thoroughly recommend him.

What I found most pleasing was that he never pushed us for a decision or to hurry up, just gave his expertise and gave his recommendation (only when asked mind you, which again was great!).

We met him on Tuesday at 2pm, picked up the ring on Wednesday at 5pm (again another 45 - 60 mins making sure we were happy etc).

I had done a lot of homework before going and so had herself which we then shared with Phillipe. This meant that he was able to have a suitable ring and a few diamonds for us ready and waiting. It did mean that we felt slightly obliged to buy from him but we went in a few jeweller's before our appointment with him and he was the best.

As regards cost - we got a .90ct VS2, E diamond (decent size, nearly *************************, pure white) with a white gold ring for €4,700. The fiance saw a
.91ct SI1, F diamond (same size, slightly imperfect - so quite a few inclusions [more inclusions mean less sparkle], nearly pure white) with a white gold ring priced in Appleby's in Dublin for €8,295.

So in effect the same ring cost me approx 45% less in Antwerp than Dublin!! That's massive!

We've also left an old ring of the new fiance's there for him to do something with - I had no problem leaving the ring with him to send back via registered post when it's been remodelled.

Secondly the whole Antwerp thing:
It's a great city, quite surprisingly actually as it's not on the tourist radar really. Food was excellent (Braserie Appelman's and Dock's Cafe in particular), beer was ok (bit too much hops for my tastes) but the pubs/cafe's were great - especially Pelgrom (if you're going to Antwerp you have to find this pub it's something else!). Also find a little cafe called Lantaren - they have a percolator from 1850's which is a terrific experience as, when you order it, they bring it out on to your table, make and serve you coffee from it! Another cafe to go to is Del Rey (it's right beside Phillipe's shop), it's a chocolatier and cafe and the chocolates/pralines were fantastic.

Decent sights too - zoo, diamond museum, cathedral with Ruben's paintings but mainly it's the numerous cafe's and pubs that make Antwerp so nice.

Finally, where to stay:
There are a good number of hotels, avoid Hotel Florida (we were booked there but thankfully changed our mind before we arrived - we went in the first day in Antwerp and it looked very run down), Hotel de Keyserlei was very central and looked nice from the outside.

But if you really want to make the trip extra special stay in B&B Boulevard Leopold - website: http://www.boulevard-leopold.be. It's been recently renovated (November 2006). It had all the modern necessities - expresso machine, tv & dvd player in the room, safe, minibar, cd/radio stereo & gas fire. The building had loads of character, the interior was styled to reflect the age that the building was constructed (turn of 20th century). It's not in the main diamond district but 10 min walk or less than 5 mins by tram.

This made our holiday to be honest - it was unbelievably special - the room we stayed in was just massive with a huge bed and a fantastic bath - very romantic! Breakfast in the mornings was continental styled but had everything you would have wanted (cereal, bread, fresh fruit, egg's pretty much anyway you wanted, etc). Price was €110 per night but we were able to get a weekday discount of 4 nights for the price of 3. The quality of the room and breakfast we had meant it was fabulous value for money and we would have happily paid the full price, or more to be honest.

Don't bother with generic hotel rooms - go there and you won't regret it!

That's about it, PM me if you would like more information!

can you bargain on price with philippe harold when paying cash?
in dublin the price on display can always be negotiated with 10-30% discount available!

I have to agree with macg about www.diamant.ie, my cousin put me in contact with them and I can't speak highly enough of the fantastic service they gave me.
They get their diamonds from Antwerp direct and their goldsmith is based there too and it really showed in the price, I found a ring almost identical to the one I ended up buying (princess trilogy) in a shop here in Dublin and it was nearly twice the price, then the valuation was even more than that!!!!

They told me everything I needed to know to feel sure of what I was buying and that peace of mind made everything easier, style of ring, cut of the stone, colour shape four C's, everything was explained to me in a really good way and I felt comfortable knowing exactly what I was buying and why. Got my ring in two weeks and I can guarantee it contributed to the "yes" I got when I popped the question ;)

Seriously, I don't think I could have gotten a better deal anywhere.
If you're in the market for diamonds, of any kind, check them out.

can you bargain on price with philippe harold when paying cash?
in dublin the price on display can always be negotiated with 10-30% discount available!
Went to Antwerp last week after doing my research here and on other sites. Decided to narrow it down to diamondland and phillipe harold (obviously stay away from the shops across from the central station). Bought ring from philippe harold as he just seemed to have a better understanding of the whole process. I mentioned cash payment after I bargained price down a bit and yes this does matter, another 21% saving! There is a small issue if you go down this route; you will not be given the certificate for the diamond there and then but it will be posted to your home address. Well worth the trip.

hi golfpaul
pity you didnt go before me.... i was there a few weeks ago.... and bougth... he said that the price he had quoted me was a cash price as if i paid by credit card, i would have to pay the commission.... still we got a good deal.... he gave sent me a valuation in the post Eu1500 more than i paid him for the ring... and i know if i were to buy it here, it would definately cost us a lot more... still have not got round to valuing it... or insuring it.... tut tut.... - but yes you are right, his service is excellent... and i would go back to him for other jewellery...

Hi there,

Just want to post my experience. Just want to say thanks to all who have posted here with their experiences as I really helped me.

I made a decision to travel to Antwerp 3 weeks ago, at which stage I contacted Philippe Harold, who was great help, even over mail. He sent ideas, prices, pictures etc and had great correspondence from the man. So on that I booked flights and accommodation. It should be noted at this time that I was travelling alone.

I arrived in Antwerp on Tuesday morning at 11.44am (the trains run on time, which no exception). I had arranged a meeting with Philippe Harold, for 12.30pm, However, I found the shop CLOSED due to a funeral. Sure what can ya say. I sucked in my frustration and went to the hotel to check in and regroup.

I then planned to visit the other members of the ADJA, as I agree with the other posters, that the shops around Central Station don’t look the best. I first went to Diamondland, which I felt was more for busloads of tourists (a bus load of tourists, Americans, pulled up just after I entered). To me they were just like Irish jewellers, as in you walked up to a counter and they showed their ware there and then. So wasn’t overly impressed.

I next went to J. Katz, and well I was blown away. The man is a pure gentleman, and as with the other posters experience with Philippe Harold, he sat me down for nearly an hour just for a chat. Now I had done a lot of homework regarding the 4 C’s etc, but he just had a way about him. He took out good and bad diamonds and taught me how to see the difference etc.

Anyway had a look around, but came back to Mr Katz. He spent another hour going thru different diamonds, until we found the ONE. We agreed on a price, and went away for 30 mins to think about it. But I came back.

He told me he would have the ring ready by 1pm the next day, Wednesday, and it was ready by 12pm. Anyway when I brought the balance he took the money and gave me €200 back. He said that he misquoted, wheather tactic or honest mistake, there was a great feeling with my ring in one pocket, and an extra €200 in the other.

All in all, I got a great deal; he also gave me a headed valuation along with the diamond certificate, which I will be able to compare with in Ireland. However I will say this, traveling on your own this is a tough thing to do. You need to know exactly what she wants. I was 90% sure, but that 10% nearly killed me.

Anyway next step is to pop the question !

Went to Antwerp last week after doing my research here and on other sites. Decided to narrow it down to diamondland and phillipe harold (obviously stay away from the shops across from the central station). Bought ring from philippe harold as he just seemed to have a better understanding of the whole process. I mentioned cash payment after I bargained price down a bit and yes this does matter, another 21% saving! There is a small issue if you go down this route; you will not be given the certificate for the diamond there and then but it will be posted to your home address. Well worth the trip.
I forgot to mention, while I was in Diamondland I picked out a diamond and said I would think about it. The next day after I went to Philippe Harold I got a call from Diamondland to see was I still interested. When I said I was also looking in PH's they knocked another 10% off the price we had agreed previously!
Also while walking past the jewellers across from the central station
I stopped to view the jewellery in the window. I was there 5 seconds when a hand appeared in the window with a hand written sign which said "70% off just for you!" which I found very amusing. I would stick with the 5 members of the ADJA (Antwerp Diamond Jewellers Association [broken link removed]) for peace of mind. And it's good to see they are competitive with each other.

Just wondering ...can you buy vintage/antique engagement rings in Antwerp or is everything new? thanks!

we saw one antique shop... had nice stuff in it...i felt they tried to rip us off when we asked for a price on something so we did not buy.... however we were advised subsequently that day that were crooks! - so i guess we were lucky... that was the only antique shop i saw there... all else was new, or made to order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back