Engagement rings and diamonds in Antwerp

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi bamboozle.
no , i just did my research.and if you had read my post you would have seen that harold offered me a diamond for one i could get here for extra 500 euro.plus i dont have to travel, risk my money , book hotel, rush buy and have no real come back. ie look at all those people who have lost money in this property company overseas this week.they have NO COMEBACK! they foolishly put there money at risk. and bamboozle what do you think of eoin28's post.now there is someone who seems to know loads....or does he.hes bought a diamond with a massive 64% table.but i did a quick search and 55%is recommended. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_cut
another website says it sacrifices the brillance of the diamond.
so much for the helpful sales talk.pulled the wool over the eyes more like it.
http://www.bridaldiamond.com/info/how-to-read-gem-cert.cfm
it says "Judged by any standards this is a dull and lifeless diamond. The table should not exceed 63% and the pavilion depth will leak a substantial amount of light. "

so now what to do?

if eoin28 is upset he will have to book a flight €190.lose a weekend.hassle travel thru airport.book another hotel€140 per night.visit shop and hope against hope that they would change it.otherwise he (like those investors in a certain overseas property company) would be ..whats the word.?

Hi mrgtbad
Thank you for pointing out my slip of the finger when typing that post. The Diamond actually has a table of 58% (it has an amazing sparkle - i did enough research to know the % table i wanted). You correctly pointed out that the table size should be 55%. I was informed that anywhere between 55% & 60% is excellent.
I actually went back especially to collect the ring. I flew to Brussels with Ryanair for a whopping 26Euro (Including Taxes & Charges) - Got 6:30 Flight from Dublin to Charleroi. Return train to Antwerp 21Euro. Flue Home at 10:15 that evening, had a very enjoyable day.

Flights: 26 Euro
Train: 21 Euro
Airport Parking: 7.50 Euro (Quickpark :)

Total: 54.50 Euro

I was lucky to get my flights for a cenr each way plus taxes and charges, however the average flight to Brussels is 15euro plus T&C. No need to spend the night. Train service is reliable, comfortable and runs every half hour.

The extra value I received by traveling to Antwerp was huge. My diamond also shows hearts & arrows which speaks for itself.

I am simply posting my experience, and would highly recommend anyone traveling to Antwerp. I can not understand how anyone could have negativity towards purchasing in Antwerp. My only conclusion is that they are affiliated in some to Irish Jewelers as i can see more and more people traveling to Antwerp in the coming years.

I'm sitting here fascinated by all these knowledgabe people. God be with the days when I and my husband of thirty years went to a wholesale jewellers in a street off Grafton St. and paid 175 pounds for the ring. We were entitled to the discount because of his job. It's a solitaire and other than that I haven't a clue,it is shiny and has worn well. Incidentally, no ordinary person can look at a diamond and know for certain what it is or isn't. On another occasion we bought what we thought was a diamond complete with certificate abroad.It was supposed to be great value. When we had to do some valuation for insurance much to my surprise the engagment ring is a diamond but my lovely stone from abroad is pure zirconium.You need to get the cert and the diamond into your hand simultaneously and give no chance for a quick swap!!!

hey excited, iv left you a private message if you are reading this!

hi eoin 23,
well done!!
your diamond sounds brilliant. you did really well.
the reason why i'm negitave about buying overseas is as per my list of reasons given already.plain and simple.

hi mouldy.you dont have to leave this alone.its just a discussion and people have different opinions.
i'm not been smart, but i did get lost reading your post.we are talking 2different rings.harold recommended(i dont know why) a 18ct ring.we bought a much nicer diamond than his and in platinum.
any how, i know nothing about giving cash.he made no offer of this.i wonder if u get receipt? this how he does business?

the reason why i'm negitave about buying overseas is as per my list of reasons given already plain and simple.
mrgtbad, why give a list of reasons without first hand experience..

I have been to Harold after months of research and we are heading back in 2008 for our wedding bands.
The guy is honest, reliable and most importantly, very professional!

You should not knock a business because it is overseas.
It is the Dublin jewellers I would be more worried about..
They we’re quoting me crazy prices.
My sister worked for a very well known Dublin jewellers and told me to go to Antwerp as we’re being ripped off here when it comes to jewellery.
The whole experience dealing with Harold was great.. Forget about the expense of getting there.. We all take a break abroad now and then so head to Antwerp anyway as it is a beautiful city..

If it is a case mrgtbad, that you are in the business, you have not done Dublin jewellers any favours.. The fact has been highlighted over and over, that Phillipe Harold’s is the place to go if your in the hunt for a special diamond with a very special experience thrown in for good measure.. :)

I just want to say I totally agree with Niceday, Buying from Harold was wonderful and his fantastic manner and his professional ways just added to the whole experience and as u say we all take a weekend away so it added to the enjoyment of the wkend away to be coming home with a diamond and a very different style of ring :)

My Fiance and I are heading back to Harold in Apr next yr to get our wedding bands.

Mrgtbad seems to have a very pessimistic outlook on the whole thing so I would say to anyone reading this who is thinking of going to Antwerp please do not be put off by her and her negativity, take on board all the positive experiences people have had with harold, at the end of the day she has never actually been to harold so she is " talking out of school "

there are lots of people who have been there, done it and have the diamond to prove it ! it seems to be that she is either jealous or is a dublin jeweller herself.

I have reading this thread with interest for the last few weeks. I find that some of the comments made are off the wall.

As a very sceptical person who did considerable research on diamonds before travelling to Antwerp, I can only say that I was more than happy with the service and professionalism we received from Harold Phillippe.

Everything was totally above board and verifiable.

hi nice day mphturbo and excited.
wow. u all bought from this 1 shop.
interesting that

MPHturbo Agree whole heartedly.Mrgtbad yes we all may have purchased from Harold as he is a gentleman who is very knowledgeable in the diamond industry and also is so helpful via email prior to travel.

We shopped around in antwerp but alot of the sales assistants in the other jewellers hadn't got a clue just wanted a sale and their selection was not anywhere near to what Harold could offer us nor where they accomodating to altering the style of ring i wanted, but nothing was too much trouble for Harold he was so obliging and didnt rush us at all, we were over 2 hrs choosing my ring with him and he custom made it to my satisfaction.

I think you should get off this thread Mrgtbad as you are coming across as a jealous pessimist with no experience of Antwerp and have nothing useful to contribute to this forum.

I think you should get off this thread Mrgtbad as you are coming across as a jealous pessimist with no experience of Antwerp and have nothing useful to contribute to this forum.

Controversy and argument are welcome. But please keep your comments civil. Attack an opinion by all means, but please don't attack the person expressing the opinion.

Hi all,
Great thread here.
We're going over for 1 night only. We'll have from 9am until 16.00 there. That doesn't seem to be ok, if we select a diamond and wait to have it set - or is it enough time?
Any thoughts on what our strategy should be for that one day? I was thinking of going to the HRD shops only, and emailing them in advance (the trip will be a surprise for herself).

Hi JB,
I can second the recommendation for Harold Phillippe - am typing here being dazzled by my diamond.
I emailed HP and a few other in advance of our trip to Antwerp, setting out exactly what I wanted and asked for a quote. When we arrived to Antwerp the jewellers had the diamonds lined up and I just chose the diamond I wanted. The next step was selecting the band.
In relation to the same day collection of the ring, Harold Phillippe I'm sure can sort you out if you tell him exactly what you want and visit him first thing in the morning. If not he can fed ex the ring to you. (Just make sure your insurance is in place).
Bring cash for extra negoiating power!
Best of luck.

Hi JB,
I can second the recommendation for Harold Phillippe - am typing here being dazzled by my diamond.
I emailed HP and a few other in advance of our trip to Antwerp, setting out exactly what I wanted and asked for a quote. When we arrived to Antwerp the jewellers had the diamonds lined up and I just chose the diamond I wanted. The next step was selecting the band.
In relation to the same day collection of the ring, Harold Phillippe I'm sure can sort you out if you tell him exactly what you want and visit him first thing in the morning. If not he can fed ex the ring to you. (Just make sure your insurance is in place).
Bring cash for extra negoiating power!
Best of luck.

Cheers decembersal!

Does the pay-by-cash discount apply for the HRD approved jewellers too?

Hi JB.

I think you need to stay a little longer in Antwerp if you want a handmade ring, unless you know exactly what you want and are super organised with the Diamond picked before you go. I went with my girlfriend for a couple of days during the summer. We were looking to go away for a few days and really enjoyed it. It took a while to decide on the exact setting, and on leaving Antwerp we still were not sure. However we had both made up our mind that we wanted a PH handmade ring.

I e-mailed PH many times on my return and received many many pictures of different settings & diamonds. I didn’t want my Girlfriend to know how much i was spending to the rings, so she picked the diamond based on the size that suited her finger.

One deciding on the diamond I negotiated the price. I returned to Antwerp on my own with cash, colleted the ring and flew back home that night. It is well worth your while if you can take a day off work.

The particular design that i wanted took one week to make. It might be hard to fit everything into one day... Best of luck with it :)

Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread for a while and decided to post my experiences. I purchased a ring from Harold recently and was delighted with the service and his professionalism. There do seem to be some quite vocal vested interests here which is natural given the threat trips to Antwerp, the US or South Africa pose to Irish jewellers. I worked out exactly the type of ring I wanted, priced it in Dublin and then had it designed and made by Harold. To purchase the exact same ring in Dublin would have cost me 50% more. Posters suggesting the cost of the trip cancels out any saving are mistaken. A return flight to Brussels is €80 including taxes. The train from the airport to Antwerp is €13 return and takes maybe 40 mins with one change at Brussels North. Obviously you could stay somewhere very cheap if on a budget but my accomodation was €120 and was fantastic. Travelling abroad to purchase jewellery makes complete sense as you are cutting out the middleman. Most Irish jewellers buy their stuff in Antwerp so the savings there are fantastic. The key is to go to someone you can trust and who has been recommended. I read this thread and decided to run with him and am glad I did.PS I'm not him! I know this is my first post and new posters recommending services is a bit strange but I'm just relaying the good experience I had recently with what was a big purchase for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back