Engagement gift?

Chim

I've been wondering what is the etiquette on engagement gifts? Do people give them? What do they give? I know they're the norm in the States but I've no idea what people do here! Anyone?

I think a nice bottle of champagne is always in order. Most people don't give engagement presents unless they're family and they really want to.

Don't know what the current etiquette is, but we bought friends of ours a nice bottle of champagne and a gift voucher.

Nowadays, I don't think most people would expect anything - then again I could be wrong!

They are close friends of ours so the gift was more of a token to mark the occasion, rather than anything else.

My rule of thumb is a card or flowers and if close friends or family a dinner out to celebrate.

A nice card is all one would expect, perhaps a bunch of flowers or bottle of wine if you have been invited over (to engaged couples home) for drinks or dinner.

I got engaged recently and we got plenty of cards and a few small presents and a couple of bottles of bubbly. We didn't expect anything at all and I don't think most couples would expect anything. It is very nice to get all the cards though.

Thanks everyone! We were leaning towards the card + bottle of champagne and that's what we did in the end. They were delighted.

Good advice all round! :)

Back