Energia prices gone through the roof

corkmac

Happy Xmas and new year everyone..

I switched from prepaypower to energia in April 2021..

We was paying 70 every 2 weeks (280 bi monthly)

When we switched to energia this dropped to about 180 every 2 months...

My last bill November was 233... Still same anount of units being used .

December TTL/electric Ireland put in a smart meter.. I thought I'd do a quick check in the estimate bill it's currently 320... The bi monthly reading isn't due until 19th of January.... So this will be around 400.. still the same amount of units being used..in fact slightly less due to buying a more economical fridge...

Is this why the government are planning on giving us 100 ??

I thought I was tied into a set price with energia for the 12 months...

Thanks
Jigsey

I am an Energia customer.

I never heard of any fixed prices.

Prices have increased several times during 2021.

What is fixed is the discount I get off the unit rates.

I will reply with unit rates soon.

I must have misunderstood when I signed up to them....but I'm shocked at my latest estimated bill

Energia prices increases 2021

Elec was 19.38 cent in my plan, that is the full rate, I got 41% discount

Prices started to rise in April 2021

Price increased to 21.18
Price increased to 23.62
Price increased to 28.11

All prices ex VAT.

In my experience, Energia charge high standard rates, but lure you in with the 12-month discounts

I recently renewed with Energia.

They offered 40% off the 28.11 cent standard rate, so an effective price of 16.87 cent.

That was not the cheapest, but wasn't too bad, so I stuck with them to avoid the hassle of switching.

Please note all elec and gas rates have increased numerous times during 2021.

I recently renewed with Energia.

They offered 40% off the 28.11 cent standard rate, so an effective price of 16.87 cent.

That was not the cheapest, but wasn't too bad, so I stuck with them to avoid the hassle of switching.

Please note all elec and gas rates have increased numerous times during 2021.

On your bill does it state 16.87 cent?
My bill has roughly half the units at 28.11 and the remaining at 23.62 but then there is a discount added.
I presume this is for the discounted rate they gave me for renewing my contract again for the year.

Commercial rates are now higher than domestic rates. Ours went from 17 cent to 34 cent. An increase of over €100k a year. That's a serious hit for an SME. We can't go moaning to the government or block traffic looking for handouts.

Commercial rates are now higher than domestic rates. Ours went from 17 cent to 34 cent. An increase of over €100k a year. That's a serious hit for an SME. We can't go moaning to the government or block traffic looking for handouts.

Is it not possible for commercial bodies to shop around in the same way as domestic customers do?

Yep, that was the cheapest price.
Until 18 months ago commercial rates were lower.

Is that increase purely due to market forces or might the Regulator have stuck his nose into things to help domestic consumers while penalising the commercial sector?

Is that increase purely due to market forces or might the Regulator have stuck his nose into things to help domestic consumers while penalising the commercial sector?
I think it's down to market forces and possibly a fear of bad PR from domestic consumers which could lead to price controls. Real businesses in the SME sector are too busy working to moan and cause problems so they are an easy target.

The 23.62 was the rate before the prices increased.
The 28.11 is the new rate that you are paying.

When you add up the total in euros from electricity used, the discount for the period is 41% (I'm assuming).

so in effect, the new rate you are paying of 28.11 c per kWh, if you discount that by 41%, then you are actually paying 16.5849 cent per kWh.

Just to add to this PandaPower have increased their prices 4 times since last April. My (discounted) rate has gone from 15.45 to 26.25 (62%). I've just noticed their 'normal' rate on bonkers is showing at 40 now. I can only assume they're leaving the market or hoping to just keep the stragglers. I've only another month left so not worth moving immediately.

Back