Ending Tenancy to Sell or Move in

p walsh

Hi,

I have had the same tenants for 8.5 years, with the current contract up until September 2019.

Weighing up my options as to what to do with the property going forward.

How much notice do i need to give if i intend to:

1. Sell the property?

2. Move in myself or a family member to it?

Many thanks,
P

Landlord advice from the RTB is located [broken link removed], where you will find full details on your obligations in terms of notice period along with templates to use for termination notices. Make sure your notice covers the required details, as any errors or omissions can result in a the clock being reset.

Notice periods are documented [broken link removed], 8+ years means a minimum notice period of 224 days.

How much notice does a tenant have to give a landlord???

0 to none I am guessing

0 to none I am guessing

That info is available on the RTB website, a tenant could in practice leave abruptly and there would be nothing the landlord could do in real terms, no official adjudicator would hand down any kind of sanction, that is for sure.

Have you much debt on the property?

Reactions: jim

Tenants have to give notice to landlords if they wish to terminate their tenancy prior to lease agreement period. Notice periods vary from 28 days to 112 days depending on the length of time they were in the property. In the event of them leaving without the required notice the landlord is entitled to deduct money from the security deposit - see Threshold website.

0 to none I am guessing
It's not exactly an equal relationship though, is it?
It's the Landlords property but the Tenants home. It's also a sellers market.

you are right purple not an equal relationship at all

Landlord = bad and no rights and easy pickings for media and gov

PRTB will fine a landlord while tenants can walk away regardless of end state of their "home"

All for rights, I just wish there was some for landlords.

0 to none I am guessing
No - there is a fact sheet on the PRTB website - it is less than the landlord's obligation but it also increases with the length of the tenancy.

you are right purple not an equal relationship at all

Landlord = bad and no rights and easy pickings for media and gov

PRTB will fine a landlord while tenants can walk away regardless of end state of their "home"

All for rights, I just wish there was some for landlords.

Its a bit more complicated - landlords have a fixed asset so naturally they cannot disappear, because 99% of tenants have no fixed home they can. The difficulty is when the situation is as politicised as it currently is, there is a lot more scrutiny, and a perception that landlords have more power than they might. Unfortunately when your product is perceived to be expensive and scarce, there is likely to be far more scrutiny than if it were a commodity.

Back