Encashment Tax - Eligible for a refund/tax credit?

dtm0211

Hi All,
My wife and I have been charged encashment tax on a number of occasions in the last number of years for taking out money from savings (EBS saving account).

I thought, wrongly, that this was another name for DIRT. I have since found out that it is not.
I am wondering can i amend my personal tax returns on PAYEanytime for a tax credit?

Any help greatly appreciated!

dtm0211

what is an encashment tax? never heard talk of that - is it just a bank fee dressed up as a tax or is it Exit Tax?

What kind of savings account was it?

Piggybacking on this as it seems to have ground to a halt....

I have some shares in a US company bought in an Employee Share plan from previous employment. The stock pays a quarterly dividend and on the statements I can see that foreign tax is paid at 15% and then there is an Encashment Tax of 20% on the remainder (which is defined as 'Amount received in Ireland'). When declaring dividend income do I get any credit for paying this tax or am I paying tax at the marginal rate plus this 20%?

Shades 25, yes you do and there is a space on the Form 12 for it. On the 2017 F12 it is box 31. Enter your dividends at box 28, the 15% tax credit below it and the system should do the rest.

Back