Employment Expenses

L

Loaded

Currently in the process of filling out form 12. According to my tax credit certificate i am allowed flat rate expenses of 64 Euro for 2005. I work in manufacturing for a US multinational company and am not sure weather i am entitled to this. I did'nt apply for any flat rate expenses when i started work. Is this something every PAYE worker in the country is entitled to or does it depend on the nature of your work. When i saw the list of jobs on the revenue website my area was not there. Not sure weather to include it on form 12, maybe they will start asking questions. Anyone any views.

Every PAYE Employee is entitled to flat rate expenses depending on the nature of your work. I think the most you can claim is around €460 if you work in the mining industry. I wouldnt be sure how much you would be entitled to, but i am sure if you called up those great people working on the Revenue PAYE helpline they could help you....

If you want to read up on it try some of these...

If you just want to check if your on the correct amount (and not entitled to more/less) the top link should do...
[broken link removed]

Hope this is of some help.

Jockey said:
I wouldnt be sure how much you would be entitled to, but i am sure if you called up those great people working on the Revenue PAYE helpline they could help you....
On questioning a member of the revenue team about flat rate expenses the feedback was less than informed. They just wanted to know which one I was looking to claim and how much it was (I believe I could have told the girl ANYTHING and would have been given it).

Satanta said:
They just wanted to know which one I was looking to claim and how much it was (I believe I could have told the girl ANYTHING and would have been given it).
The onus is on the individual taxpayer to only claim what they are entitled to and to make sure that their tax affairs are up to date.

ClubMan said:
The onus is on the individual taxpayer to only claim what they are entitled to and to make sure that their tax affairs are up to date.

I fully agree with this. However, regarding things like Flate Rate Expenses the individual taxpayer is usually uninformed or at least uncertain on the details (only through the previous threads on AAM that I became aware of exactly what I was entitled too and was able to claim it back for previous years).

Where a question is asked of the revenue staff on a matter like this I'd have hoped to recieve some constructive advice. I felt it was exactly the opposite which basically ended up on me requesting a certain amount and the staff having no idea what I was talking about but happily adding it to my cert.

The figure was correct and I am 100% confident in my case what I was due, but for others it is not so clear cut (doing one type of job but for a company in a totally different type of industry etc.). If they were to seek advice on the matter (at least from the member of staff I was talking too) I feel certain that they would be no clearer in what they could/couldn't claim following the discussion.

Satanta said:
I fully agree with this. However, regarding things like Flate Rate Expenses the individual taxpayer is usually uninformed or at least uncertain on the details (only through the previous threads on AAM that I became aware of exactly what I was entitled too and was able to claim it back for previous years).

As a case in point I looked at the link you posted above. For many jobs there are no figures on the spreadsheet past 2003. The spaces are just blank however so does that mean they have been abolished or are just not filled in? If they are abolished then surely the blank spaces should be filled with zeros or nil to definitively show this?

Satanta said:
Where a question is asked of the revenue staff on a matter like this I'd have hoped to recieve some constructive advice. I felt it was exactly the opposite which basically ended up on me requesting a certain amount and the staff having no idea what I was talking about but happily adding it to my cert.

The problem with Revenue is if you ask the same question to three different people you will get three different answers. So I now email them questions. Best to have your answers in writing. :)

I sent the following email to them a while ago. I then sent it to a different region's email address a few days later, as I had no reply from the first.

Dear Sir/Madam,

The following are questions I have regarding filling Form 12:

Section 5.
Is Maternity Pay to be entered in Section 5?

Section 13.
Number of Properties. How should a .25% share in a property be entered?

Section 19.
UK Dividends
How does one enter (if at all) Vodafone dividends, which are received as additional shares in the company?

Section 39.
Home Carer Tax Credit. Is the full Home carer Tax Credit available for a Child, born during the tax year.?

Yours faithfully,
------

The following are the replys, make of them what you will.

Reply 1

Maternity pay not taxable , do not include.

.25 share , show full adress of property , full rental income etc , put covering note along side that you own .25 share only and declare your .25 share of the income

Reply 2

I refer to your recent email.

Please quote your PPS number on all future correspondence with Revenue.

In response to your enquiries:

Section 5
Maternity Benefit is not taxable. Therefore, you do no need to submit details of this on your Tax Return.

Section 13
You should complete this section with full details of your rental income received in the period 01/01/2005 to 31/12/2005.

Section 19
You should enter the total net UK dividend figure in this section.

Section 39
Please refer to the Information Leaflet IT66 regarding the qualifying conditions to claim the Home Carer Tax Credit.

All forms and leaflets are available to download from www.revenue.ie

Yours Sincerely,
xxxx

So between the two replies I still don't know the answer to Section 39, as it is not covered in IT66. Section 13 is interesting as the Form 12 is now OCR readable and only allows whole numbers. They are also going to have a problem the downloadable PDF of Form 11/12 etc, as the pages in are Letter size. When printed in Acrobat they are by default resized to A4. I guess they bought an American OCR system...

Towger

The first reply is typical of the ones that I have received lately in terms of its brusque nature!

"Maternity pay" and Maternity Benefit are not necessarily the same thing. The former could well be what the employer pays an employee possibly net of MB. Such payments would be assessable for income tax!

As for the Home Carer's Tax Credit is [broken link removed] of any help?

Are you sure about the US Letter size issue? I downloaded Form 12 and looking at the PDF file properties it tells me that it's 8.26 x 11.69 inches which is basically A4. US Letter is 8.5 x 11 inches. Perhaps your printer settings are wrong?

hi there, sorry to gatecrash the thread but its a related query and i didnt want to take up unnecessary space :) somebody mentioned to me before that there was also a tax credit for expenses of this sort for those working in the civil service? i check the spreadsheet but there wasnt an amount listed beside civil service per se, just three categories, none of which seemed to apply to me. does anyone know what clerk of works, in this sense would refer to?? thanks a lot

Back