Employment "cease" date not until start of June; revenue considering job is ceased

Ger1966

Hi all,

My sister works in the Public Service and is retiring at the start of June. Her employer has notified revenue of her end date i.e. June 2.

In her April pay, she paid over 3 times the amount of income tax and USC that she normally pays. PRSI was €12 higher than normal. I logged in to her My Account and I can see that the status for her job is set to "Ceased". When I click into this, it's showing that the "Ceased Date" is 02/06/2023 - see image attached. If the "Ceased Date" is in the future (based on today's date), why would the status for that job be set to "Ceased"?

I've raised 3 tickets for her over the past 10 days, but none have confirmed that she won't pay a similar amount of tax when she gets paid at the end of May, so she's getting anxious about this. She's tried to telephone them too, but can't get through, so she's "stuck" with using My Account to try / hope and get this sorted.

If Revenue have the cease date as June 2, why are they considering her to have ceased now, with her resulting in paying a lot more tax than normal?

Thanks!

Attachments

• AAM ceased.jpg
    AAM ceased.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 75
In Revenue's systems the actual date doe not matter once it is the current Tax Year. When a Leave Date is sent into Revenue it is used as a flag to indicate the Employment has ceased.
In saying that a ceased RPN should have no effect on the amount of PRSI calculated, so there is another factor at play. Also tax allowances will stay with the ceased employment, unless there is another active employment registered.

Last edited:
Thanks, Towger!

Would it be worth setting up a "new" employment in My Account using the same employer details of the Ceased job?

No. Setting up a New Employment your self will create a bigger mess.

On MyAccount/ROS you can check:
A) If her allowances have changed.
B) If they have moved to another Employment/Pension. They will automatically move once the original employment has ceased, but only if they have somewhere to move to. (This is how the system should work, but anything is possible!)

If the answer to A) is No and B) is Allowances still with Original Employment. Then the problem is with her employer's payroll. Public Sector, so you will be lucky get it fixed by June anyway.

BTW Don't confuse Employment with Employer, they are different things. If she is works for the likes of the HSE she can have multiple simultaneous different Employments with the one Employer.

Back