Employment Agency owes me money

S

sm99

Can anyone tell me what would be a realistic timescale in which to expect an invoice to be paid by an I.T. recruitment agency. As per the terms of my contract they are supposed to pay 30 days after the invoice is issued. However, as my contract has now terminated they do not seem to be in a hurry to pay the 2 outstanding invoices coming to around €6,000. One is overdue by about 2 months now and the other about 1 months. They are neither returning my calls or my emails. The payments are issued from their office in the UK. Anyone got any advice?

6 grand you're owed! I'd be talkin to a legal eagle thats for sure even if he only sent them a letter demanding payment or legal proceedings will ensue, this wouldn't cost much and if it gets you your 6k then money well spent you have waited long enough seems like the company wants to burn the little person here go and arm yourself with legal representation and advice.

Good Luck ;)

I'm aware of at least one current case where a contractor (still in employment) was left waiting 7-8 weeks for payment. It seems to be endemic in that industry. Part of the problem seemed to be the number of 'layers' involved, with the private contractor subbing to one agency, who were in turn subbing to a 'preferred supplier' agency who where subbing to the real client.

Does the EU "late payments in commercial transactions" rules not apply in cases such as this?

Late Payment

You might want to have a look at this link
[broken link removed]

Basically, this is a UK lawyer (Frank Sinclair) who has dealt with IT contract cases like yours.

You don't need to contact him but the info on the site could be useful.

The link is old but the law may be still relevant if the company is a UK one.

You could also have a look at www.contractoruk.co.uk

Re: Late Payment

Hi

I would take a far more practical approach. Make out an invoice for the full amount and send it to the client of the employment agency, i.e. your employer. Tell them that you have been unable to get paid and would they mind paying you directly. You won't have a legal case, but I imagine that the agency will not want to be embarrassed by it and will organize the payment promptly. If the agency is a member of the Irish Federation of Recruitment Services, you should complain to them as well.

Cause maximum embarrassment before you try the legal angle.

Brendan

Hi,

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I will be taking it all on board. I put another call through to them this morning. Have been calling every day for the past 2 weeks and unable to speak to the person in charge of payments for Irish contractors. She is "sending me an email". I will wait a day or 2 to see if I receive a satisfactory explanation then I will be starting with the "embarrassment route". Thank you all again and will keep you posted

Irish Federation of Recruitment Services

Hi Brendan,

Do you have a website address for this? I found IFPS(Irish Federation of Personnel Services). Is this the same thing. Link not active anyway.

Thanks

Back