Employing a sole trader

Nemama

Hi,

A company wants to offer on-demand services to their clients. The company would offer the service based on client's requests. However the company doesn't want to employ a new stuff but hire an external sole trader that would come over every now and then. The sole trader would use our facilities to provide the service but he/she needs to bring or provide all the equipment required to develop the service.

How do I pay the sole trader? Do I offer him an employment contract or what?
Should I retain the sole trader to exclusively provide the service on my business?

Thnks

I suspect you need specific professional advice on this as the issues involved can get horrendously complex. If you don't want to employ him, you most certainly shouldn't be giving him an employment contract but you could be effectively employing him anyway, and liable for all the consequences, if the terms of your engagement approximate to an employment contract. As an introduction, read this: https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-asse...try/are-you-self-employed-or-an-employee.aspx but again you'll probably need advice before committing to anything.

Back