Employer getting stroppy because I am giving 1 month's notice, although the contract says 2 months!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offence but were you 15 and it was a summer job?? It goes back to the original point made about references etc. Your's wouldnt look good. And you probably breached your contract by working elsewhere when still employed.

I was a manager in a financial services company and 36 I think at the time.
I moved to a better financial services company with better prospects and more money.
Yes my contract did say I couldn't work elsewhere. I survived though.
The police didn't arrive to take me away. I had a great time in the new job. I moved again since to improve my lot again. The world didn't fall in.
The world is full of people who will warn you of the consequences of anything from driving in the bus lane to what's in a contract for x,y,z. In practice you look coldly at it and decide what the consequences, like really. Usually there are none.
Op people are in your situation all the time and can manage it one way or another without the doomsayers consequences.

Last edited:
I've just had a St-Paul-on-the-road-to-Damascus moment. Darkpete, how dare you question the right of your employer to inflict only a two month term of notice on you! Can you not think progressively on your decision? You have put unnecessary pressure on your co-workers having to deal with one person less trying to sell time-share apartments in northern Iceland to bingo-winged hotties from Catford. You have spurned two opportunities to become employee of the month. All our cherished employees should aspire to this but not you, do you not know any other employer would look on this like you committed perjury in a murder case. Furthermore, you could have won the sun holiday for one during October in Tunisia (or perhaps eastern Turkey, depending on sales). You could even have made it to our short list of Acting Team Leader in one of our future sales drives.

Darkpete, you are not a good role model for your soon-to-be former work colleagues and our adorable team leaders. I bet you want to join a trades union in your new job too. Just how low are you prepared to go? Just remember, when you can afford a decent sun holiday yourself in Spain, Sardinia, Malta, Crete or Cyprus you could have had free-for-one in Tunisia. I bet you'll regret your ways.

Going forward, I ask you to rescind your decision and work out the 61 days only of your notice and we'll forget all of the foregoing.

[QUOTE]Why did the OP bother signing a contract when he was/is so ready to break it?I'm all for employee rights but the employer has rights also.[/QUOTE]

If 1 month notice period is sufficient for the role \ responsibilities \ level of seniority, why is an employer abusing their position with unreasonable contracts?
If anyone here thinks that someone going for a junior to med level role has much scope to negotiate their contract they are not living in the real world.
Do you think a HR department is going to be able to manage a situation where there are as many contracts as there are employees?
They'll do that for leadership level roles but for anyone else???

The more I read this thread the more I think the job being left is not senior management where dynamism is a prerequisite and I reckon the "old" employer is just being difficult for the sake of being difficult, merely because he can.

I wonder why such a "clause" was put in the contract first day, when the employer probably knew it was going to be broken anyway? I reckon, he put it in just because he could.

So based on a single post from the OP, you continue to develop your opinion that the employer here is oppressive and somehow revels in the misery of their employees...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back