employer enforcing a 65 year old to retire

wheeler dealer

I manage a small business with 4 staff ,I have one staff member who is 65 in March and I will be delighted for him to be replaced .To be saying he is a freeloader is putting it mildly but low and behold he put in request to work on until he is 66 .What are my options?

Might be relevant if the contract specifies 65 or earlier as the normal retirement age - the section entitled

Requests to work beyond the ‘usual’ retirement age​

Have you allowed others to stay on beyond 65? If so you will need to consider that too.

legislation was changed to allow worker’s retirement extend to age 70 for public servants but there’s examples here

Contract and precedent are obvious issues that you need to consider. Also, have you served notice that you intend to retire him? And based on the tone of your post I'd wonder if this individuals alleged performance issues have been addressed previously and whether or not there is "history" here. Who usually looks after HR issues for you - do you have any external support ? You may find that there isn't a silver bullet and that you need to work through this to achieve an amicable outcome, and avoid a dispute or worse.

Back