Employer contribution to DC after swap from DB

Jordan Belfort

Just wondering typically when a DB is closed to contributions and a new DC is put in place what level of contributions have companies made to the new DC scheme? I'm asking specifically for people who have switched from DB rather than new employees starting on a DC.

I just want to gauge what has happened in companies where this has happened before.

My Employer closed off the Defined Pension Scheme, and transferred to a Defined Contribution Scheme. The reason of course was the DB scheme was losing out,due to the financial crisis of 2008. On the subsequent transfer to the new DC scheme, the terms were laid out. In my particular case the contribution from the employer was 15% of my gross salary to the new DC scheme. Initially the contribution was 5%, but after much discussion with the employer it was upped to 15%. Subsequent to this I made AVC contributions to Match the 15%. My DB scheme had only 2 years to run when it changed, so it was important to maximise the Pot of funds.

What to do
1) Approach employer to ascertain what level of contribution they can make, and bargain on that basis
2) Decide if you can make contributions to the funds at a level you can afford
3) If there is a shortfall of your pension pot, ascertain if the employer is able to make up the shortfall.

When you get into the new D.C. scheme it will most likely be managed by a company, independent of Financial institutions, or should be so.

Seek Financial advice from a registered Financial Adviser, not one from the company managing the Funds. It will be worth paying the fee for this advice.

I retired 3 years ago and placed my pot into a ARF/AMRF scheme. I still use the same investment company for ongoing advice on funds for investing in, and on occasion a completely independent Adviser for an overall assessment of the scheme. Remember you will have control of the fund when you retire, so it will be your decision.

To summarise: The D.C. has worked out O.K. as the company made up a shortfall, used an investment firm, and contributed to the Pot when the D.B. Scheme closed.:)

Hi Guys,
Can I ask what industry ye work in- my company is currently in the process of moving from DB to DC- no agreement made yet on employer contributions to the DC scheme,
Many thanks,
Mark

AIB moved from a Hybrid DB/DC scheme to a DC scheme several years ago, where they made a base contribution rate of 10% of salary and matched amounts up to 2%, 5% and 8%, depending on the age of the employee.

As you can see it is wide and varied. An Irish PLC recently ended up with up to 17% DC contribution for long service members. The circumstances of each company are too varied to set out a standard.
On closure of the DB scheme the trustees of the DB scheme are obliged to get the best transfer value possible. This could be more important than the future DC rate, depending on member's age. Once this process is completed then the contribution rate for the DC should be agreed. There are 2 distinct steps here, often they are negotiated as a package which is not the correct way, usually to the detriment of deferred and younger members.

Back