Employed By Husband?

NickleIckle

If I were to be registered as an employee of my husband who is self employed (and actually work for him, of course!) - does this affect tax credits in a different way than if I were employed by someone else?
Would I still get all my PRSI benefits, and PRSI tax credit at the end of the year?
Is this a sensible option? I have been employed for almost 2 years by someone else, so I would like to remain employed as I want to keep my option to claim sick pay if necessary, and opticians credits etc.
Thanks!
NickleIckle

If I were to be registered as an employee of my husband who is self employed (and actually work for him, of course!) - does this affect tax credits in a different way than if I were employed by someone else?
Would I still get all my PRSI benefits, and PRSI tax credit at the end of the year?
Is this a sensible option? I have been employed for almost 2 years by someone else, so I would like to remain employed as I want to keep my option to claim sick pay if necessary, and opticians credits etc.
Thanks!
NickleIckle

Spouses employed by spouses :-
1) are not insurable for PRSI purposes
2) do not qualify for the employee tax credit €1,830.
3) would get the normal standard rate cut-off point increase up to the maximum for the year

If it was done through a limited company, would the spouse be entitled to all that?

If I were to be registered as an employee of my husband who is self employed

When they brought in individualisation (6 years ago?) they noticed a large jump in the number of wives working for their self-employed husband. This happened because of the obvious tax saving to be made and therefore a tightening of the rules.

You may safely blame your local FF politician for the position it has put non outside the home working spouses and their families income tax bill.

see this thread ( especially toward the end on S/Welfare rules )
Thanks Graham.
Must say I'm surprised that even this isn't straight-forward. (surprised, but not shocked - this is ireland after all)

So what happens if a husband makes his wife redundant (and I don't mean divorce!!!), is she entitled to redundancy payment?

So what happens if a husband makes his wife redundant (and I don't mean divorce!!!), is she entitled to redundancy payment?

To be covered the employee must be in an "insurable employment" (for PRSI) see also redundancy section at DETE www.entemp.ie . As a wife, employed by her husband is not in an "insurable employment" she cannot qualify for redundancy. However a husband, instituting redundancy procedures against his wife may soon find himself the subject of other proceedings :eek:

To be covered the employee must be in an "insurable employment" (for PRSI) see also redundancy section at DETE www.entemp.ie . As a wife, employed by her husband is not in an "insurable employment" she cannot qualify for redundancy. However a husband, instituting redundancy procedures against his wife may soon find himself the subject of other proceedings :eek:

Would a spouse that is "employed" by her spouse have to pay the health contribution of 2% on her earnings of say €14,000. Am I right that she won't pay PRSI on same amount?

Would a spouse that is "employed" by her spouse have to pay the health contribution of 2% on her earnings of say €14,000. Am I right that she won't pay PRSI on same amount?

No PRSI as not insurable, per posts above.
The 2% Health Levy is payable on amounts exceeding €500 per week. ( same as any other employee) . See classes M & K here

yes, as both are employed by the company which in law is known as a judicial person.

Back