Emigrating during maternity leave - benefits and tax

jrewing

My wife and I will be emigrating in March 2010, and I have some questions regarding her entitlements / tax situation.

My wife will be on maternity leave until August, and will then take up employment with the foreign branch of her current company. Until August, she will remain an employee of the Irish company, receiving a partial salary.

She is currently receiving Maternity Benefit. I assume that this will stop once she declares that she is moving out of the country in March.

Can anybody tell me whether she can then claim back the tax she pays between March and August on her salary, given that she has declared that she left the country, but continues to be paid by an Irish company.

Thanks,
JR

Any thoughts on the above ?
I think a bump to this thread is warranted seeing as I posted it over the Christmas ;-)
Thanks

For the record, I called the relevant department in Social Welfare and was told that my wife is entitled to keep getting the payments as long as she remains in the EU. So happy days !

No wonder the country is broke!

Don't understand this comment!! She is entitled to her Maternity benefit like everybody else. She has paid her PRSI and it should not make which make any difference which country she lives in.
She appears to be returning to work in August and will continue to pay her taxes to support all those services we so badly need

Back