Electricity Levy

Hi

Could anyone enlighten me as to who exactly is to pay this new levy. Is everyone going to be obliged to pay it or is it yet again a levy that will exclude some sectors as was the case of the pension levy?

Whats peoples opinions on the levy, do you see it as necessary or do you feel its yet just another way of exactracting money some of us just don't have!

the ultimate responsibility for this disgraceful and anti business (we are in a recession!) and consumer rip-off lies with Min Eamonn Ryan

It will hurt the poorest and most vulnerable in Irish society the most.

Shame on this joke of a government

just read on breaking news that the esb have confirmed the price hike!! terrible when so many struggling to pay bills

According to Eamon Ryan this moring on Morning Ireland we have the cheapest electricty for consumers in Europe on average. Slightly higher for business. He advised we should all move to Airtricity to avoid the hike and in fact get a better rate as their discount is greater than the increase. Incredible stuff.

just read on breaking news that the esb have confirmed the price hike!! terrible when so many struggling to pay bills

Surely this refers to the PSO Levy...

According to Eamon Ryan this moring on Morning Ireland we have the cheapest electricty for consumers in Europe on average. Slightly higher for business. He advised we should all move to Airtricity to avoid the hike and in fact get a better rate as their discount is greater than the increase. Incredible stuff.

....which means moving to Airtricity will not avoid the price rise as it's a Government imposed levy to be implemented by all providers.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0901/esb.html

I don't understand why people cant grasp this.... or am I getting it wrong????

On the other hand, if we don't subsidise renewables like wind energy, and in ten years time, oil hits $400 a barrell, we will look rather foolish being the windiest country in Europe, still dependent on imported oil and gas.

There are issues with the ESB profits, wage levels etc., but that is a separate issue. To my mind, the levy is a prudent investment in providing affordable energy in the future.

Wind energy must at all times due to its intermittancy be backed up by fossil fuled powered stations, every watt of wind energy has to be back ed up by fossil fuel derived power.

If you look at the Eirgrid figures wind energy is an expensive farce, it is intermittant and during the coldest period last year produced barely any energy.

For a small country to squander tax payers money on useless energy generation whilst being fed a level of propaganda by Min Eamon Ryan who outdoes Herr Gobbells promoting it is a disgrace

Ireland does not need a 5% levy to make electricity more expensive. Government policies has made Irelands electricity generation one of the most expensive in Europe, not what this country needs during a major recession

I wish the stupid Irish spoon fed media would stop saying this is a 5% hike when it is nothing of the sort. It is a fixed charge payable regardless of consumption.

Back