Electricity Billing - no bills

UhOh2019

Hello,

Quite some time ago I found out I was in credit with my ESB supplier. They had overcharged me so I received no bills for a long time as I was in credit. I phoned up at the time and was told the bills would kick in automatically when the credit was used. The thing is, they haven't. I actually forgot about it for so long waiting for them to kick back in. The credit is definitely used up by now but I am not being billed. I do want to rectify this and pay for electric but am afraid in ending up with a massive back bill for what was not really my mistake.

Can they do this?

How long ago was your last bill and do you have a copy? You could do a rough manual calculation based on the current reading on your meter minus the reading on your last bill?

Some might just leave it run and see how it ends up but personally I would just contact your supplier and try to get things back on track as I would not like to have the fear of potentially getting a bill for thousands. They should be willing to write off/arrange a payment plan for any arrears considering it was their mistake by initially overcharging you.

Do you receive your bills by email ? Can you sign up to online and see what is happening ?

I have signed up online. It says your next billing date is unknown and there is no bill up there since the last one we paid.

If you know how many units you have used, your price per unit is around 21 cents/kWh - unless you being grossly overcharged :rolleyes: so you can work out how much you owe since your last bill

I cannot understand why you are not receiving any bills, whether it is overpaid or not. The bill would show a credit each month. I have had overpayments on one of my properties that went on over 6 months but each month I received a bill showing what electricity units were used for that period, ground rent etc and how much credit was on the bill at that date.

If you know how many units you have used, your price per unit is around 21 cents/kWh - unless you being grossly overcharged :rolleyes: so you can work out how much you owe since your last bill

21 c/kwh is very expensive as a visit to ***************** or bonkers.ie will show.

21 per unit is not far off at all for average base price without any discount, SSE are even dearer, as bonkers etc. will show.

21c includes standard charge, VAT and PSO - if anyone can get lower, please let me know

Bonkers shows € 848 for 4,200 kWh as the lowest = 20c / kWh

Last edited:
OP you can have my bills :)

One time my account got stuck in a limbo. I received an estimated bill and submitted a reading. Whatever stage in the bill cycle I submitted the reading, well the system didn't like it. I had to phone up weeks later when no new bill was issued. I got the impression my account would have been in limbo for some time had I not called.

They'll know the usage, so the sooner you contact them the better.

Also negotiate a discount on the standard price, even if you are in credit.

If there's a substantial bill, it's their error, so they should allow a phased payment.

If you have taken reasonable energy saving tips, your bills should be less than €100/month for a good sized house (assuming no electric heating)

Back