Electricians on strike at St James's Hostpital

On Sundays, a call-out would trigger a minimum of eight hours' pay. In addition, they are entitled to a minimum of four hours of compensatory rest in accordance with the European Working Time Directive.
This would imply that an electrician is not on site 24/7. Perhaps I am reading it wrong? But this does negate the argument about a fuse blowing in the middle of an operation if the electrician has to be called in on Sunday?

I agree with Mpsox and Complainer that an electrician is needed in any large campus. But I would question the contract terms, the cost and the level of service as outlined in the article.

Oh, and I'm off if this becomes a public service bashing exercise.

Last edited:
you can be a 'cynic' all you want, does'nt worry me Mr.Complainer!! Are you by any chance a public servant of some description yourself?

Nice sidestep , any chance of posting any details of the " rampant abuse " you speak of ?

I'll meet any of you for a pint and go through some of the issues I've come across in my time in a few state organisations. If you have a few hours to spare of course!!!

As an example, 1 org I worked in had several staff in 1 section who simply did'nt work. They just did nothing. They sat all day reading papers and listening to the radio on headphones, which was a fine example to the younger and newer staff! I had to get overtime arranged for a few Saturdays as some areas of work had fallen behind and some of the staff mentioned above showed up on the Saturday/Sunday!!! I was told under arrangements with the union, we could'nt hand pick staff for overtime- if it was offered to 1 staff member in a section, it had to be offered to all !!!

And don't start about their manager not managing them. I spoke with their manager on several occassions about them and was told that if they did do any work, it would take more time to check and correct it afterwards than it was worth. No other section, even those short of staff, would take them. And as you know there is no compulsory redundancy in the public service so what could you do with them. And they knew that!

By the tone of Deiseblue and Complainer, you seem to be indicating that there are no abuses in the public sector. Would you consider the example of the electricians in St.James as being an abuse, an outdated work practice, a waste of taxpayers money? Or are they right in their actions?

Last edited:
I'll meet any of you for a pint and go through some of the issues I've come across in my time in a few state organisations. If you have a few hours to spare of course!!!

As an example, 1 org I worked in...

The state hires a lot of staff across many departments, would you care to be more specific?

As an example, 1 org I worked in had several staff in 1 section who simply did'nt work. They just did nothing. They sat all day reading papers and listening to the radio on headphones, which was a fine example to the younger and newer staff! I had to get overtime arranged for a few Saturdays as some areas of work had fallen behind and some of the staff mentioned above showed up on the Saturday/Sunday!!! I was told under arrangements with the union, we could'nt hand pick staff for overtime- if it was offered to 1 staff member in a section, it had to be offered to all !!!

And don't start about their manager not managing them. I spoke with their manager on several occassions about them and was told that if they did do any work, it would take more time to check and correct it afterwards than it was worth. No other section, even those short of staff, would take them. And as you know there is no compulsory redundancy in the public service so what could you do with them. And they knew that!

By the tone of Deiseblue and Complainer, you seem to be indicating that there are no abuses in the public sector. Would you consider the example of the electricians in St.James as being an abuse, an outdated work practice, a waste of taxpayers money? Or are they right in their actions?

The terms and conditions enjoyed by the electricians in St. James were agreed by two parties - the employers and the Union.

If changes are to be made they must be agreed not arbitrarily introduced.

Apart from purely anecdotal evidence can you post factual evidence of "rampant abuse " ?

Of course there is abuse in every sector but I would suggest that the Banks and Construction sector have set the bar so high that any abuse in the Public Sector is minimal by comparison.

I was told under arrangements with the union, we could'nt hand pick staff for overtime- if it was offered to 1 staff member in a section, it had to be offered to all !!!
You make it sound like this is some kind of devious conspiracy. It is almost certainly simply an agreement to ensure that overtime is distributed fairly, and is not just allocated to the manager's buddies.

If you are suggesting that the Dept in question has an agreement in place with the unions to bring in six people for OT when only one person is needed, then let's get that agreement on the table. It would be fairly easy to do this via FOI and/or PQs. A bit of a spotlight will ensure that any such agreement gets changed promptly. Having said that, I really don't believe that there is any such agreement in place today.

And don't start about their manager not managing them. I spoke with their manager on several occassions about them and was told that if they did do any work, it would take more time to check and correct it afterwards than it was worth. No other section, even those short of staff, would take them. And as you know there is no compulsory redundancy in the public service so what could you do with them.
I'm not sure how long ago this happened, but what you could do with them today is go through the documented and agreed processes for managing poor performance. Every Dept has these procedures in place today, and they do ultimately end with the dismissal of the employee. This is indeed a rare event, but it is does happen. These procedures are in place in every Dept and almost every agency as part of PMDS.

By the tone of Deiseblue and Complainer, you seem to be indicating that there are no abuses in the public sector.
I've never said any such thing. I would be a fool to indicate that there are no abuses in the public sector. I'm sure there are current abuses in the public sector (just like there are current abuses in the private sector). I'm not at all sure that these abuses are 'rampant' like you claimed.

If the abuse that you saw is still ongoing, then you need to decide whether you are going to be part of the solution. If you want to fix it - go public, maybe by letter to the SecGen or the Minister, or get Shane Ross or Joe Duffy onto it or whoever. But do your bit to get it sorted.

Of course there is abuse in every sector but I would suggest that the Banks and Construction sector have set the bar so high that any abuse in the Public Sector is minimal by comparison.
Complete cop out.

At the very least that should be
Banks, Construction sector, Politicans, Local Authority Planners and the Financial Regulator

I had to get overtime arranged for a few Saturdays as some areas of work had fallen behind and some of the staff mentioned above showed up on the Saturday/Sunday!!! I was told under arrangements with the union, we could'nt hand pick staff for overtime- if it was offered to 1 staff member in a section, it had to be offered to all !!!

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
You are offering overtime to everyone, people can choose to apply.
If too many people apply then the manager can decide based on skill set and past performance.

At least people get the option to apply.
The overtime isn't sown up by the manager's buddies

The terms and conditions enjoyed by the electricians in St. James were agreed by two parties - the employers and the Union.

If changes are to be made they must be agreed not arbitrarily introduced.

Apart from purely anecdotal evidence can you post factual evidence of "rampant abuse " ?

What an odd comparison , the protected union jobs paid for by the taxpayer with the rapidly declining private sector jobs in the banking and construction sectors

What an odd comparison , the protected union jobs paid for by the taxpayer with the rapidly declining private sector jobs in the banking and construction sectors

What an odd reading of my post !

My last para referred to levels of abuse in both sectors not to jobs.

Back