Electrical goods insurance

sonnyikea

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything. There is an insurer in the UK (Domestic and General) that do an electrical goods insurance policy. You can add an electrical good to the policy thereby extending the basic warranty you get with the device at the time of purchase. Is there an equivalent policy available in Ireland?

given the price of electrical items, this can be a waste. As far as I know, there was some problems in UK with this type of cover. some retailers/manufacturers give 3 to 7 year guarantees on the goods as things stand.

thanks but it really depends on the cost of the electrical items as to whether it is worth the money or not. The UK policy always worked out cheaper than the extended manufacturers warranty and paid up when it needed to.

Just looking to see if something similar exists over here.

Many home insurance policies will cover such appliances for accidental damage whatever about mechanical or other failure.

It's the mechanical failure cover I'm looking for, I have accidental damage cover through my house insurance.

What sort of price range and what sort of premium in the UK? I would also be skeptical about such cover being worth it but perhaps if they are fancy/expensive appliances...

Some examples are - €850 coffee maker. Yearly insurance was around the 30GBP mark. It broke and needed to be sent to Germany to be fixed at a cost of €200.

£1,200 TV - defective outside of manufacturers warranty. No way of fixing the problem. No CRT sets available as the manufactures stopped making them. Set replaced with new LCD set which cost £200 more than the original set. I think the cost of this insurance was around £50 a year.

So in those two examples the value of the insurance was well worth it. The costs of all repairs, or attempted repairs, and transit were covered by the insurance.

Back