Electric Underfloor Heating

Sasol

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone has any experience and/or feedback in relation to Electric Underfloor heating ?

I have the finished floors of my house poured, but the fllor tiles, carpets or wooden floors have not been laid yet.

I heard of a 'mat' that can be laid on top of the finished floor and immediately under the tiles to provide underfloor heating.

I am only think of putting it into two upstairs bathrooms. I have pre-cast slabs, so it will be going down on top of 4 inches of screed that is the finished floor and 6 inches of slab (no insulation between slab and screed on the fist floor).

Is this type of underfloor heating worth going with ? Is it expensive ? (one bathroom is 2.7M X 2.6M and the en-suite is 1.5M X 4M)
Is it efficient etc

Thanks,
S

I have put this in my bathroom and ensuite when they were refurbished a few years ago. It's best to use it with another heat source, we've got only a 1m-ish square mat in the ensuite (retrofit into the bedroom, so it's a pretty small room) and it doesn't heat the room. The one in the main bathroom (room's about 8x8) does a better job, but we've also got a heated towel rail. We don't have it on for long during the day (a base of 15ish most of the day, up to 25 in the morning for about 2 hours) and never noticed a hit on the electricity bill.

We put insulating board down on the old floors, the heat mat and a thin layer of leveller under the tiles. I think some sort of insulation under the mat is recommended, otherwise you're heating down as well as up - and that's a lot of concrete to be heating.

In your situation, it would cost an absolute fortune to run: your electricity bill will go through the roof.

They makes sense in a warm floor construction (to a certain extent), but forget it in a concrete scenario.

Back