Electric shower advice

Giddiman

Hi,
We've just moved into a new house and the shower in the bathroom really isn't great. It's a Mira Elite2. No idea how old it is though. Basically, the pressure on the shower is pretty low. I have no idea about these things so was wondering if it might need to be replaced (because maybe it's old and a newer model might solve the issue?) Or do we need another type of shower (separate pump?). Or any thoughts on how to problem solve this? Call a plumber/shower company is probably what we will have to do but would like to research it a bit first.
Thanks

That model went out of production in 2006, that said if it's working I'd leave it be, there will hardly be a 50% improvement to a newer model.

I have an old shower and a new shower and there is little in the difference except styling, size of unit and noise, ensure it is working properly, no blocked shower head for example.

A Triton T90 Sr should be an easy replacement if that is what you wanted, budget around €350.

Our experience of the Triton SR 90 is that the pressure is very poor. Our gravity fed and pump showers are much better.

You are never really going to get great pressure from an electric shower. Their great advantage is providing an instant hot shower at the touch of a switch, with no excess water heating.

A pumped shower requires an external source of hot water, eg, your immersion tank. It is also a different set up in that you will need both a hot and cold supply plumbed to your shower unit.

There are basically two different pump shower set ups. You can get a shower unit with a pump located in the box (that goes on your shower wall) - Triton, Aqualisa and Mira do these - and probably others. Or you can locate a mixer on the shower wall with a seperate pump, eg, in your hot press.

The simpler job is to replace your electric shower, but you are not going to get power shower pressure. If going this way the new Triton silent (forget the name) has a good reputation.

I don't think a new shower will increase pressure. How is it fed ? From an attic tank ? If you are in a low water pressure area this also is out of your hands. Putting a separate pump in is not cheap.

Back