Electric Scooters and collisions.

Mamamia22

I hear from local Gardai that collisions with scooters are on the rise and that Garda stations are inundated with people reporting accidents. I have seen some users on main roads in dark clothing and all weathers without lighting. Others crossing roads including pedestrian crossings at speed. Others also use paths without slowing down for walkers. Most of them seem rude, emboldened and careless. How do insurance companies manage cases where collisions occur ?

I assume the same way a car collides with a bicycle, stationary object, pedestrian. If someone claims against your car insurance they either settle, investigate, or reject liability. If the figure is small they just settle and hit you with higher premiums for the next 5 years.

The onus is on the car driver to drive with due care and responsibility. Other cars, pedestrians, bicycles, scooters, motorbikes can all behave in unexpected manners so the risks get higher the more of them on the road, I have seen scooter, electrical bikes and those small not quiet a bike or a motorbike all behaving terribly on the roads. But I also have seen many drivers increasingly behave badly.

My daughter has a small car and is a careful drive but she is being dinged over and over, 2 hits when the car was parked and once from a lane encroachment.

It is getting worse out there and inevitably premiums are going to go up.

Hopefully the new powers the guards have will at least see uninsured cars taken off the road, the estimate is that 1 in 12 drivers are un-insured.

Electric scooter use is on the rise so no surprise.

No different from bicycles.

Fully agree this is 100x the problem scooters are or ever will be.
They're even less noticeable than bicycles because the person on the 'stand up' versions is stationary, so you don't even notice the movement you get with a cyclist bobbing and peddling. Coupled with dressing like a ninja and no lights, it is a dangerous combination.

In reality, scooters and their "drivers" are completely untrained, and unregulated, just like cyclists....

So, we're at the mercy of the individual on the scooter or bike, every time, and the Gardai, nor the Minister for Transport, are going to do anything to help the rest of us, any time soon (if ever!)

E-scooter regulations in force since last Monday 20th May:

Depending on power output, they are legal to use on roadways (NOT motorways) and are always illegal on footpaths.

I have one for local trips where using a car is wasteful. Observations: 99% of the population at large is ignorant as to the regulations governing their use.

Last Thursday, dude on an electric skateboard waiting to mingle with two lanes of traffic at a busy Finglas road roundabout on the main thoroughfare from the M50….
Message on road requirements needs a rethink, message is not getting through.

E-scooter regulations in force since last Monday 20th May:

Observation: 99% of the population at large is ignorant as to the regulations governing their use.

That's hardly surprising seeing that they were introduced only a week ago!

I have yet to hear the deluge of public information advertisements on RTE radio [many of them in the Irish language because, as we all know, scooters are a massive issue for drivers and pedestrians in rural Gaeltacht areas in Connemara, Donegal and Kerry!] advising us of this exciting new bit of probably unenforceable regulation.

That's hardly surprising seeing that they were introduced only a week ago!
They've been debated for a number of years and their introduction was well flagged. Very little legislative change gets widespread coverage on RTE or elsewhere. Indeed many of those using e-scooters are unlikely to watch much if any RTE coverage and as always applies, ignorance of the law is not an acceptable defence,

Indeed many of those using e-scooters are unlikely to watch much if any RTE coverage and as always applies, ignorance of the law is not an acceptable defence,

That's why my comment referred to RTE radio, which (you may be surprised to learn) doesn't require watching! But thanks, as always, for your prompt, helpful and informative response.

There was a rather poor and silly ad on the telly today at lunchtime on the new reqs.

As for dark clothing, I thought it was compulsory and almost a uniform

As for insurance, if they collide with a pedestrian, there almost certainly is no insurance on place.

I wouldn't put up training and regulation as a solution with the numbers being killed by motorists here.

I would, as the number of motorists is massive, in comparison to cyclists or scooter users.

You might also consider how many accidents have probably been prevented, due to training, testing, and regulation of motorists.

I would, as the number of motorists is massive, in comparison to cyclists or scooter users.
I don't get the point of relative numbers? There are way more pedestrians than motorists. If your point followed the lack of regulation and training there would see them causing 10's of thousands of deaths each year.

Are e-scooters allowed in bike lanes? Same q re the more powerful e-bikes.
I was cycling by the canal, bike lane, overtaken by a lad on an e scooter who crashed into a delivery bike. The delivery bike was a hefty job and I’ve seen users on similar ones and there is no peddling required. Likewise the scooter was on the large side with a seat.

No one seemed badly hurt, there was a row brewing though, so I didn’t hang around.

Are e-scooters allowed in bike lanes? Same q re the more powerful e-bikes.
Legislation is here, press release here. Both are allowed us cycle lanes.

The delivery bike was a hefty job and I’ve seen users on similar ones and there is no peddling required.
Legal e-bikes must only offer pedal assistance, once the peddling stops the power must cut out though if course it is fine to coast along.

Likewise the scooter was on the large side with a seat.
It is illegal to use an e-scooter with a seat in public.

Last edited:
Most insurance companies now exclude 3rd party damges etc from home insurance policies
That's for insurance cover for the driver's personal injuries or for the scooter itself, not public liability cover. The context above was an e-scooter colliding with a pedestrian, so I assumed it related to the pedestrian's ability to claim compensation. In that event the pedestrian would be able to claim against the scooter rider. If the rider had public liability cover via a home insurance policy, that would come into play. If they didn't have such cover (living in rented accommodation with no contents cover whatsoever for example), they'd be personally liable if found at fault.

Back