Electric Razor Recommendation

ArthurMcB

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good electric razor. In particular for maintaining short stubble. I like to keep short stubble as oppossed to a clean shave. Price range up to €100.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Interesting question and will be good to know what others feel I've used quite a few over the years but have never had a good shave from any of them, tried my sons and son in law's one as well. They varied in price from €75 to €250, brands were Braun, Philip's and one that was purchased in Argos for €120, I cannot remember the name but it was a very neat fit for my hand and as good as any of the others for a shave. It could be used as a wet or dry shave. I'm nearly certain it was the Panasonic brand, but am not certain because the grandkids have put it somewhere that we just cannot find it. In any case, i'm using Wilkinson Sword blades in an ordinary razor again. It's the only decent shave you can get, but I sometimes cut myself. That's all I can tell you.

The big difference is whether to go for a rotary type or foil type. Brauns are typically foil and Philips are usually rotary.

I've tried both types and I've never been 100% satisfied, I think each type is good at different areas.
If I had to pick one I would go with foil.
With foil ones I found you nearly want to shave by touch with your eyes closed. You can go too close to the skin.

But if you've never used one before though a rotary style might be better.

Make sure to get one that charges in 1 hour, there's still some knocking around that take 8 hours to charge.

And I don't think they supply the 3-pin adaptor for the shaver anymore, so you'll need one of them if you don't have one.

e.g. this is a Braun foil one.

Have the Braun Series 5, foil shaver, very happy with it. Had a Remington rotary shave before, was also very good. Probably just about prefer the foil shaver.

The big difference is whether to go for a rotary type or foil type.
Not sure you’d be able to maintain short stubble with either though? Unless ArthurMcB is thinking VERY short.

I’ve had a couple of these over the years and have been very happy with them for maintaining short stubble - https://www.philips.ie/c-p/BT7202_13/beardtrimmer-series-7000-vacuum-beard-trimmer. The vacuum isn’t a gimmick, it really does suck up most of the mess. I use it on the 1/2/3 setting depending on how short I want the stubble.

I think my skin is especially sensitive, but I’ll never go back to a clean shave after using one of these. Dry skin, spots, in-grown hairs, daily shaves etc a thing of the past!

Not sure you’d be able to maintain short stubble with either though? Unless ArthurMcB is thinking VERY short.

I’ve had a couple of these over the years and have been very happy with them for maintaining short stubble - https://www.philips.ie/c-p/BT7202_13/beardtrimmer-series-7000-vacuum-beard-trimmer. The vacuum isn’t a gimmick, it really does suck up most of the mess. I use it on the 1/2/3 setting depending on how short I want the stubble.

I think my skin is especially sensitive, but I’ll never go back to a clean shave after using one of these. Dry skin, spots, in-grown hairs, daily shaves etc a thing of the past!
Oops, I misread 'maintaining' short stubble as meaning tackling short stubble, so a razor that can clean shave 1 days' stubble. Thanks for the steer.

Ignore my post OP.

Back in the day I used a Remington (foil) electric razor; it was pretty good, but nothing like a decent wet shave with my Bic pack bought in the local Pound Shop. The (Remington) foils are not cheap to replace and must be done every few months. I use the wet razor more often now (as I have time to spare), but I keep a Philips (rotary) razor handy (Cheapest 3 blade job). It's years old and I have never had to replace anything in it. I presume the electric motor will run out sometime, but it owes me nothing.

Back