Electric Ireland bill dispute

Haille

Just wondering if there is any body such as the Ombudsman who could satisfactorily resolve an Electric Ireland bill?

I have been in touch with Electric Ireland a number of times they are still trying to sort it to no satisfaction. I opened the account with Electric Ireland on December 19th in an investment property that I have for 15 years. The house was unoccupied from December 19 to February 18. I would have used a little electricity during that time 107 units to be exact. They issued me an estimated bill with no reference to estimated units.

When a Smart meter was installed on February 18 Neworks Ireland forwarded the final reading on my old meter. The last bill 74 eoros was taken from my bank . 200 euros Govt credit was to be added to my account in January. I contacted them on March 1 st and they told me March 16 it would be finalised. Rang again today and still no new bill issued.

I have 3 Electric Ireland accounts, two of them by direct debit. I was thinking of stopping all direct debits and not pay either of the 3 accounts until they rectify it.?

Send them an email stating that you are making a complaint under their IDR (internal disputes resolution) procedure. If they then do not resolve the dispute to your satisfaction, make a complaint to the CRU.

Many thanks for replies.The issue is that they refuse to issue a bill based on units used.They refuse to itemise the last bill showing standing charge, units used.A smart meter was installed on February 18 whereby ESB networks submit a final reading on the old meter.So the readings submitted by me have been verified by Networks.It seems to escape the billing section.No evidence of Govt. 200 euro grant added.

Firstly refusing to pay your other bills will not strengthen your case or put you in a stronger position.

If you've submitted a reading your next bill should reflect your actual usage. This is no different than the usual estimated bills people get through the cycle which are ultimately updated when a reading takes place.

Each provider is different, some will generate a new bill for every reading received. Others will take the reading but only issue a bill every 2 months.

As for the 200 credit again I believe each provider has a different approach. For some it will appear on the 1st others may not apply it until the actual bill is generated.

If I were you I'd wait to see what the next bill says before escalating.

It's only 2 working days since March 16th which is when they said they'd sort it. I'd give them another few days. Given the small numbers is your gripe with the non-showing of the 200 credit from 1st of March ?

Many thanks for all your replies. It makes you wonder why submit a reading. The estimated bill was for 720 units whereas the usage was 107 units. When they try to rectify it at best they will credit to one's account whereas the money should be refunded to my bank account as it was in credit when the payment was deducted.

Maybe you missed the billing cycle deadline with your submitted reading? These things happen with household utility bills. I don't really see what the big issue is to he honest.

Back