Electric Ireland Advertised Price Increase apparent discrepancy

Spider

Electric Ireland(EI) advertised on their website ( and confirmed to us by email ) a price increase of 9.3 % on our unit price as of November 1st 2021
Our bill dated 22 November showed a unit price increase from€ 0.1615 to €0.1773 a price increase of nearly 9.8 %
Our standing charge increased from €0.3839 to €0.4215 a price increase of nearly 9.8 % . All rates reflect the "super saver " rate which we had just moved to .
We have queried the bill and asked for clarification on the apparent discrepancy . Our first email was acknowledged but got lost so we were allocated a tracking number for our query , but still have not received a follow up explanation.

Our Question is : Has anyone else noticed a discrepancy between the advertised and billed rates from EI or is there another simple explanation ?

It may seem a small amount but it is a large amount if all customers have suffered similar small discrepancies.
We welcome any comments or clarification any one else may have.
Thank you to all the contributors on the interesting forums . I learn so much each time I read the threads.

You mean this notification?

Are the prices that you mention ex VAT or inclusive of VAT?

The price rise is on the ex vat unit rate without your discount applied.

The headline rate is =21.12*1.135*0.74=17.738688

I dont know what the headline rate was before the price rise but that figure +9.3% = 21.12 (i think)

That standing charge doesn't look high enough either, not sure about that it should be about 50 cent a day

Apologies Paul000s we are not on the discount you calculate above so let compare like with like :

The press release from the link sent by Clubman above shows the :
24 hour standard rate Nov 1st is 21.12 C/kWH . ( this includes the advertised 9.3 % increase applied presumably .
Our September bill shows a rate of 19.24 C/WH. (Assuming this is the 24 hour standard rate in September as we were on no discount deal ) .

Then the price increase is 9.77 % on the 24 hour standard rate not the advertised 9.3 % .
When we calculate it on our specific discounted rate it still reflects this almost 9.77 % increase .
Can you see any other flaw in our reasoning .
This is now driving me crazy

Possibly the overall increase was 9.3% with a lower % increase in the day/night rates. I can't find the august rates to check this out.

Still a good bit cheaper than energia's "40%" off rates as Energia have exceptionally high standard rates.

When the various utility companies announce a price increase is the price increase across the board for all of their plans or do they selectively choose plans?
I would hate to think that they introduce some sort of super saver deal and then target this deal as the first to have a price increase.

Back