Electric Ireland €265 offer

Roro999

I hear this sign up offer is a 24 month contract. Am I right in saying a few months back same offer was for a 12 month contract ?

All providers change their offers, periodically.

At this stage, I wouldn't waste time even thinking about it, given that ship has sailed, if it did previously exist.

Use the price comparison websites to get the best deal you can. I like to do this annually, and wouldn't do a two year deal, as there's too many variable factors - but each to their own.

Check what the offer is, most companies only offer discount on their standard rates, so they can still change the base rates.

Check their base rates, standing charges, as energia has a bigger discount but their starting rates are higher.

Gas prices up circ 40% since this time last year, electricity also up significantly but who knows what will happen next 12mts.

Isn't the max break fee 50 EUR? Worth checking, then it might be worth your while paying this & switching if a better deal comes along.

Make sure to check with Electric Ireland as there may be a clause where if you leave within the 24 month contract they may look to reclaim the cashback from you.
I found it was cheaper in my case to have electricity and gas billed separately rather than a duel fuel bundle as the unit rate varied even though both were from the same supplier (Bord Gais)

Last edited:
I havent looked at EI in particular but they usually say in the T&Cs they can claim up to the full amount of the welcome bonus, in practice they may reclaim the welcome bonus on a pro rata basis, so if you stayed for 1/2 the contract they would take half the cashback + the early termination fee.

OP be careful with the 24 month dual fuel contract though, looking at the offers from EI you are getting 265 for 2 years or 200 for 1 year, so 65 euro for the second year, it would be much better to get 200 for 12 months then switch again.

Thats assuming the welcome cash is the best deal to go for, generally if you are a low usage household it may be better but the consensus (no one knows for sure) seems to be we are going to get price increases this spring so 26% discount in a rising price market cushions the increase by 26% as well.

The other important question (and impossible one to answer) is whether they are going to increase their prices in the weeks or months after you join. I don't know what the solution is, but at least you should look to see when they last did an increase, and if they have announced any coming increases.

Back