Electric Heaters

We have an old 20yr boiler on kerosene with rads which are not very effective. We have an electric shower. But we have no on demand hot water at sink kitchen/bathroom when needed. As there are only 3 in the house oil is not looking at being very efficent. Looking at alternatives that can make life easier, ie. undersink on demand water heater kitch/bathroom with panel heaters in rooms that are actually being used. These can be un plugged and moved to any room as needed.

Solid fuel non boiler in kitchen.
Change the boiler. The advance in energy efficiency over the last 20 years has been huge.

I changed a 14 year old boiler that was located about 10 metres from the house to a new Grant boiler with heat/water & zone controls and oil usage literally halved - and that not an exaggeration. A single 1000 lt fill will do me all winter and its a good sized house.

Total cost was about €3k and we'll have saved that in oil by end of this winter

Have a central heating service person come out and advise

with panel heaters in rooms that are actually being used. These can be un plugged and moved to any room as needed.

Non-occupied rooms need to be heated / ventilated too or you risk serious condensation and mould problems.

We have an old 20yr boiler on kerosene with rads which are not very effective. We have an electric shower. But we have no on demand hot water at sink kitchen/bathroom when needed. As there are only 3 in the house oil is not looking at being very efficent. Looking at alternatives that can make life easier, ie. undersink on demand water heater kitch/bathroom with panel heaters in rooms that are actually being used. These can be un plugged and moved to any room as needed.

Solid fuel non boiler in kitchen.

Do you have access to a natural gas connection? A combi boiler might be suitable in your case

No I'd have to have a tank put in as well as the new boiler and that's a few bob. I know there is no easy way out it as you have to have heat but with the children leaving home soon etc I'm just not sure what to do.

but with the children leaving home soon etc I'm just not sure what to do.

It might be worth waiting to see what replaces the deep retrofit scheme. The government have set ambitious targets for the retrofitting of older houses to make them much more energy efficient, they'll need generous incentives to come close. Significant works would be easier to manage once the kids have moved out. The under-sink option you mention might be enough to tide you over.

Back