Electric heaters compared to oil fired central heating

galen1

My radiators are old and need replacing. Are there electric heaters available for heating a house with a similar cost to oil fired central heating?

My radiators are old and need replacing. Are there electric heaters available for heating a house with a similar cost to oil fired central heating?

Your #1 priority should be to insulate your house to a high standard.
Assuming that is complete and you do not have access to a Natural Gas supply, I would retain the OFCH and replace the rads. Electric heating is very expensive.
How old/efficient is your oil boiler?
Are you above/below average user of heating?
How big is the house?
Your house may suit a Heat Pump. These have come down a lot in price and increased a lot in efficiency in the last few years.

no , electric heating is the worst of the worst in terms of value for money and performance

As above, electric heating is the most expensive by a long way. Look at the SEAI cost comparisons [broken link removed].

Was reading this article only the other day about changing standard rads for new aluminium ones as they seem to use less energy to heat up. Not that cheap here but maybe changing some to aluminium would help in heavily used areas. http://www.bestheating.com/info/blog/why-buy-aluminium-radiators/

That doesn't make sense. Heat is energy. The heat that comes out of a radiator is the heat that goes in. None is ever lost or gained -- it's a fundamental law of nature. The only thing that can differ is the rate at which the radiator heats up and cools down. If it takes longer to heat up it will also take longer to cool down, i.e. there is a slight time lag in heating between different materials. However, that's also affected by the size and shape of the radiator, the colour and composition of the paint on it and other factors. Most people don't need to be able to turn the heating on and off like a light switch, and I doubt that aluminium will make any practical difference at all.

Have a look at this. Of course, it's from a steel rad maker so is probably as biased as the articles from the aluminium pushers. But worth getting both sides of the arguments.

As above, electric heating is the most expensive by a long way. Look at the SEAI cost comparisons [broken link removed].
Nothing to see there unfortunately, as the new website is being "rolled-out", manually no doubt.

I replaced my wet heating system with electric rads. You can read about it below. It is more expensive, but not vastly so (unless you want your house to be like an oven). I did it because I have a particular circumstances and my house is relatively small.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/replacing-central-heating-with-electric-rads.199994/

Couple of things:

You need to ensure you have really good voltage. The ESB will upgrade your voltage for free if it is sub par.
You need to ensure that you have a 60 amp mains fuse.
You need to ensure your load is evenly distributed around your circuits.
You need to shop around for best rates, and regularly change supplier to get discounts.

It also helps if you have some sort ancillary heat source to reduce load, like a wood-burning stove or an air to air heat pump. Its a great solution for me. Zero hassle, which I am prepared to pay a bit more for.

Let me know if you want more info.

Back