Electric cooker- Creda - concept solarglo

R

Red

Cooker 5 years old.
Problem 1.
Right front ring turns on (at full power) and off but does not adjust up or down by turning the relevant knob(on the cooker).
Problem 2:
Grill does not come on sometimes but will work after turning on the top oven for a short while.
There must be some kind of thermostat somewhere, that needs to be replaced.
Anyone come across this kind of problem ?
Rgds
Red

would you feel comfortable replacing switches in you cooker?
or do you need to get a repair person.

Problem 1
The switch (called a simmerstat) for the ring is faulty.
It has within a bimetal strip and a little heater the heater causes the bimetal strip to switch on/off giving you control of the time the ring is on.
These switches are available from local electrical shops and are a standard part
if you feel comfortable replacing it then you can save €80.

Problem 2
Is just a little more interesting to locate.
Step 1
you can only use the oven or the grill
if the oven switch is not in the off position then you cannot use the grill and visa versa.

It looks like the top oven thermostat is not going properly to the off position or is not sending the power on to the grill when the oven is off.

If you remove the cover of the control panel (from behind)
you could check that the wiring has not become loose.

If no loose wiring then you may have to replace oven switch /thermostat this will have to be a part suitable for your oven

Does anybody in your house use the top oven?

Be certain to turn off the power on the wall and at the main board before you open the cooker panel.

I would tackle problem 1 first and have a look at the wiring on the top grill/oven while the panel is open and if the thermostat has to be replaced I would do that another day.

If you are not comfortable doing this yourself then phone around or ask your local electrical shop what itwould cost to replace both switches.
The model number for the cooker will be on the back of the cooker.

Lots of luck
Roger

Hi Red,

Great to see you got a very helpful/knowledgeable reply from Roger :)

If you are attempting the repairs yourself there are 2 recommendations that I would make:

1. If the cooker is working ok at present best to leave the repairs until after Christmas in case things go wrong and you won't get to cook a turkey!

2. There are 2 places that I found very helpful for spare parts:

www.mastercare.ie/, 164 Howth rd, Killester, D/3. (01) 8333969. Found them very helpful/knowledgeable.

The 2nd one is called

Spare Parts Centre Ltd., 9 Frederick St. Nth, D/1. (01) 8726565.

They do lots of spare parts so might have something suitable. Not sure if they do cookers but if they don't they will most likely be able to give a recommendation. Very helpful - got their name from recommendations on this site.

Rogermure/Suellen,
Thanks for the excellent replies.
I will take a look at the back of the cooker (after xmas),when I sober up, and decide then whether to tackle the job myself or to get someone in(or let the wife do it if it looks very dangerous).
Thanks again
Rgds
Red

Hi Red,

I had a few problems with my 12 year old Creda Solar Speed a couple of years ago. I called the service agent and they sent someone out. I remember him telling me that there was (don't know if still applies) a maximum charge for fixing it had it been less than 10 years old. It may be worth checking this out.

Monquest

Monquest,
Thanks, I'll check it out, now that xmas is over.

Red

Back