Electric Cars - a ridiculous product

Yes, they're not for everyone. Not ridiculous per se, but it would be ridiculous for some people to buy them.
It would be ridiculous for some people to buy any car. Most of the sales of SUV's are ridiculous by any utilitarian metric but people still buy them so that they can pollute the place and kill children in a crash.

I don't care if people buy EV out of thier personal choices. I do have issue with subsidies from tax payers money to suit agenda of a specific group in the name of environment. In the end its all marketing led by technology billionaires that provides guilt escape of polluting environment. Pollution is caused by increased human activity and consumption. People are replacing cars sooner and buying bigger cars which they don't need - this will increase net pollution.

I wish governments spend tax money on public transport infrastructure that will make real difference in pollution and carbon footprint.

Fair enough point. But there are also costs to the negative externalities which have to be paid for, including combusting fossil fuels whether in a power plant, car engine or a jet engine. Currently the cost is different (and hence subsidised), depending on what type of fossil fuel and where its burnt. Subsidies incentivise behaviour, its true that all the incentives are not aligned, but I disagree that "its all marketing". I'd prefer my fossil fuels not to be burnt outside my kids school especially when there's a perfectly viable alternative.

We have our EV coming up to 6 years in a few weeks and we are a single car household at that.
No plans to change but at this time the next one will definitely be an EV.

For me an extra benefit is the additional reliability that comes with an EV.

This is a list of issues that I've had with cars over the last 25 years say.

turbo failure (on M7 motorway)
head gasket failure(2 cars)
hole in exhaust(had to be replaced)
clutch failure
starter failure
alternator failure
drive shaft failure
wheel bearing failure

Only the last two of these can happen on an EV and I had these on my first (old) car.

The level of zealotry from EV believers is incredible. Comparing traditional cars with horses. Citing specific circumstances in which EVs are fine when the whole point is the pretty normal scenarios when they’re not which just isn’t the case for ICE vehicles.

The data is clearly showing us that there’s a problem and that buyers are avoiding EVs. It’s not opinion, it’s data! I appreciate that this may be painful for early adopters who may now be realising that they’ve possibly backed the wrong horse and wasted money on a ‘pig in a poke’.

It would be ridiculous for some people to buy any car. Most of the sales of SUV's are ridiculous by any utilitarian metric but people still buy them so that they can pollute the place and kill children in a crash.

I think they buy them for the space and to protect their own children to be fair.

We have our EV coming up to 6 years in a few weeks and we are a single car household at that.
No plans to change but at this time the next one will definitely be an EV.

For me an extra benefit is the additional reliability that comes with an EV.

Hi Savvy,

Thanks for that. I've mentioned before that I buy older cars for cash. For me the relatively trouble-free driving from an EV would be very attractive, once the battery is in fine fettle.

Herself has an ICE that she wouldn't part with for love nor money, so we're covered for the long trips.

Firefly.

I think they buy them for the space and to protect their own children to be fair.
They aren't that big inside due to the big wheels encroaching into the cabin space and unless they hit another car head on they aren't any safer. What they are in dreadfully polluting from manufacture right through to when they are scrapped and dreadfully dangerous to other road users, particularly pedestrians.

One of my concerns with EV's is what happens if they go on fire while parked under an apartment block or hospital etc.

They aren't that big inside due to the big wheels encroaching into the cabin space and unless they hit another car head on they aren't any safer. What they are in dreadfully polluting from manufacture right through to when they are scrapped and dreadfully dangerous to other road users, particularly pedestrians.

I don’t think that’s fair. A large modern SUV like an XC90 is very safe and most higher end cars have mechanisms where you’d struggle to hit a pedestrian even if you tried.

The collapse in EV sales is telling us that people don’t want them unless they’re subsidised.

Why is that? Might it be because they’re an inferior and less convenient product?

Hi Gordon,

There are shortcomings with EVs for sure, but it's not like we really have a choice. ICE cars may be "better", but their air pollution in our cities is killing people.

Firefly.

I don’t think that’s fair. A large modern SUV like an XC90 is very safe and most higher end cars have mechanisms where you’d struggle to hit a pedestrian even if you tried.
All else being equal it is more dangerous to pedestrians, no safer in most circumstances (and less safe in some), and it is far more polluting than a modern saloon with the same cabin size. If EV's are unsuitable for long journeys then SUV's are at least as unsuitable for urban driving.

All else being equal it is more dangerous to pedestrians, no safer in most circumstances (and less safe in some), and it is far more polluting than a modern saloon with the same cabin size. If EV's are unsuitable for long journeys then SUV's are at least as unsuitable for urban driving.

As someone who drives carefully, has never had an accident, has zero penalty points, and shows consideration for others on the road, I feel comfortable saying that it’s my own passengers I’m more worried about and the danger that eejits in other vehicles constitute, rather than the welfare of other people such as pedestrians who I give enough consideration to via my driving behaviour.

As someone who drives carefully, has never had an accident, has zero penalty points, and shows consideration for others on the road, I feel comfortable saying that it’s my own passengers I’m more worried about and the danger that eejits in other vehicles constitute, rather than the welfare of other people such as pedestrians who I give enough consideration to via my driving behaviour.
I'm referring only to vehicle design, not driver behaviour.

The level of zealotry from EV believers is incredible.
I see more balance on the pro-EV side than your anti-EV zealotry, you have made more false claims than anyone with a pro-EV view.

The data is clearly showing us that there’s a problem and that buyers are avoiding EVs.
Again, show us the evidence that proves that people only want EVs when they're subsidised?

I see more balance on the pro-EV side than your anti-EV zealotry, you have made more false claims than anyone with a pro-EV view.

Again, show us the evidence that proves that people only want EVs when they're subsidised?

Eh, subsidies have reduced, and EV sales have fallen sharply.

QED.

The level of zealotry from EV believers is incredible. Comparing traditional cars with horses. Citing specific circumstances in which EVs are fine when the whole point is the pretty normal scenarios when they’re not which just isn’t the case for ICE vehicles.

The data is clearly showing us that there’s a problem and that buyers are avoiding EVs. It’s not opinion, it’s data! I appreciate that this may be painful for early adopters who may now be realising that they’ve possibly backed the wrong horse and wasted money on a ‘pig in a poke’.
We love driving pigs in pokes in this country. All those diesels bought for short drives for cheap tax that have issues with DPFs and EGRs because they're being bought for a use case they were never designed for.

We love driving pigs in pokes in this country. All those diesels bought for short drives for cheap tax that have issues with DPFs and EGRs because they're being bought for a use case they were never designed for.

Diesels in urban areas were madness alright.

Diesels in urban areas were madness alright.
That's kind of the point in all of this though; people buy cars because they look nice, they like driving them, they think they are safer, they think they are reliable, they are fast, they are nice to drive, etc. It's not a utilitarian decision.

People also buy EV's because thy think they are good for the environment and in many ways they are. It's one of the great thing about living in a free country.

do you , or people you care about, ever walk, is A to B always by car.....sums up the core irish mentality

Back