Electric bill rocketing - help !!

gInvestor

Guys,

Looking for a way to find out why my electic bill is rocketing. We've seen the ill increase gradually this year and now its at ~€190 every 2 months. I checked the readings against the bills and everything seems ok.

Used the online calculator and see a notable difference
[broken link removed]

After discussing with friends, some mentioned electricity loss, is this real ? What do I look for ? I;ve read up on all the energy saving sites but we already have all the bulbs etc.. Can anyone help us ?

Consider investing in an "Owl" and use it to see what is using your electricity. Turn everything off and see if it is still registering usage. Bought one on ebay and am very happy with it.

Guys, Looking for a way to find out why my electic bill is rocketing. We've seen the ill increase gradually this year and now its at ~€190 every 2 months. I checked the readings against the bills and everything seems ok.

€190 per bill isn't bad. That's just less than €25 per week which is €3 odd per day. That's good for a modern home with the usual range of appliances. There's always room for savings of course but I don't think you'll achieve a significant reduction without making major changes to your lifestyle.

Regards,

Fnergg

I rarely pay over 100 per 2 months. 2 adults living in a 3 bed semi. One works shift so not always putting on appliances at the same time. always at least a radio or tv on. Broad band/modem on most of day. cooking done every day, plenty of washes and tumble dryer used. Electric shower/immersion on every day and the rest of the usual stuff.
I would seriously be checking out what you are using.

190€ is very high considering we haven't even got the winter temperatures outside yet. mine is (for two people in a house) € 60 every two months. also note that esb decreased their prices again from october 1st. like previous poster suggested

Consider investing in an "Owl" and use it to see what is using your electricity. Turn everything off and see if it is still registering usage.

Check out everything to make sure they are working properly. My parents had the same problem, and discovered it was the water pump was leaking water thus consuming more electricity . Took them ages to figure it out, but bills came way down.

Back