Electric Bicycles, any advice on them?

gillarosa

Hi,

I've been looking at some Irish Sites for Electric Bicycles, as I'm planning on commuting about half my work week by bike and I don't know whether to go for a standard bike or this (admittedly more expensive) type. My commute would be mainly flat so their assistance on hills won't be a consideration...just wondering of any AAM's have first hand knowledge of any models and can make recommendations.

Thanks!

Re: Electric Bicycles, any advise on them?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I am also interested in anyone that has experience with an electric bike, or pedelec as they are technically called (motor assisted when pedalling only). With the introduction of the cycle to work scheme in the budget (which I'm pretty sure includes these bikes) I would be consider getting one of these for my commute to work. I would be looking at travelling approx 18 miles per day round trip (city centre to ballybrack). I would like to get some exercise but like the idea of using the motor assist to speed up and hopefully avoid arriving to work a sweaty mess!
Also on a practical note, anyone any experience with cycling along the N11, quality of cycle lanes?, hills?, is it very dangerous?
Thanks

I would try cycling it on a normal bike before investing in an electric one. Cycling is a lot more than just pedalling, so it would make sense to ensure you enjoy it and feel safe for all those other reasons before sinking your cash into a more expensive electric one.

I haven't heard that these are excluded (or not) from the cycle to work scheme, but would check this first in case there's something in the small print.

Also, be aware of bicycle thieves! They know that electric ones are worth more.
IMO, unless you live somewhere hilly or cycle somewhere in the open where it can be very windy you don't really need an electric one. One benefit of cycling is as well that it keeps you fit.

Ive heard they're shocking.

Shocking good or shocking awful? lol

I had a go on one but haven't bought one so far as I haven't been brave enough as yet to go battle with the traffic. It really was good on the incline although it wasn't a very steep hill I was on I really felt the benefit of the power.

As far as I know they are included in the tax scheme. Although one of the Retailers would be able to confirm this, many of them seem to have the forms in-store.

As far as these bicycles go, they initially seem like a great idea but the battery does tend to go down in them very quickly. A lot of your work is better done pedalling like a normal bicycle and then just opening the throttle for any incline you come across

I had a trial run on an electric bike and I was surprised how good they were.

I've sent you a PM with details of a guy I know who sells them in case you're interested (he's a friend so that's why I don't want to mention details to everyone).

Back