Election Results

I think the most interesting of all was in the 6 counties. Alliance getting 1 of the 3 seats. So it splits 1/3rd extreme green, 1/3rd extreme orange and 1/3rd sensible. I think there is a big Brexit factor here. The Ulster Unionists really missed a trick in changing to be Brexit, being afraid of being outflanked by the DUP. The fact is that many unionists, such as farmers, saw the backstop as win-win.
It is amazing that a large party in a region as backward as Northern Ireland, whose main export is people and sectarianism, is confident enough that their masters in London will continue to fund their failed state-let that they are willing to stop suckling the overflowing tit of the EU. Is it not clear to them yet that the Little-Englanders don’t care about them one bit? Are they such craven lickspittles that they continue to crawl back to their “betters” no matter how they are treated? At least some of them are willing to let their greed trump their bigotry a little bit, but not enough to rejoin their mother country and embrace a united Ireland (thankfully).
Can't understand the collapse of SF in the Free State. Good to see but I hate to contemplate Grisly wallowing in his self esteem - gone a year and they collapse. What has happened? Is it Mary Lou's objective to enter government?
Maybe it’s Mary-Loo’s didactic staccato tone. Maybe it’s their loony left economic policies. Maybe the thick’s who usually vote for them were the same ones who spoiled their votes. Maybe the cohort of people who don’t like reality and voted for the basket of crazies on the extreme left went Green instead this time. Maybe they, like me, hear the faint echo of jackboots every time I hear the Shinners speak.

By and large good news throughout the British Isles with the Green surge the only blight on the landscape.
I thought that the big news from the British Isles was the success of the Brexit party. The Green surge (is 10% a surge?) was the big news in Ireland (the free bit of Ireland that is), and on the mainland. Not much of a Green surge in the British Isles, not even one in Northern Ireland.

;)

I thought that the big news from the British Isles was the success of the Brexit party. The Green surge (is 10% a surge?) was the big news in Ireland (the free bit of Ireland that is), and on the mainland. Not much of a Green surge in the British Isles, not even one in Northern Ireland.

;)
Well, news means it's new. I had already priced in Fraud's success. Indeed he actually under delivered, most polls had put him in the high 30s. The Liberals on the other hand over delivered. I think the SF collapse was not anticipated by the polls. But for me, given my background, Naomi's success is the big news.

The version I heard on RTE is that this is the first time the supporting legislation has had to be tested, so the Returning Officer is being cautious before deciding what next to do. I think "winging it" is unfair.

I don't think I have the full picture, but if it's this article, it seems strange that Dublin is using a different practice to South for determining the seat order:

Maybe the should have run it as a 4-seater for quota purposes, with the number of 1st preferences determining the seat order within those 4.

I'm detecting a 3 to 1 bias for Southside v Northside in Dublin MEPs.
Actually, Fitzgerald, Cuffe & Andrews have all been TD for Dun Laoghaire at some point.
Some sort of quota should be established to prevent this reverse takeover.

So after 200,000 of the 720,000 votes were rechecked in Ireland South and just ONE vote was found to be incorrect, Sinn Fein want the taxpayer to spend close to an estimated €1 million on a full recount.

Their excuse - the check today was only on a small portion of votes.

200,000 out of 720,000 is not a "small portion" - its 30%.

I really hope SF get the hiding they deserve for such a request. - Its puts the Maria Bailey compo claim in the hapenny place.

Transferrable votes and electorates of 700,000 are not a good combination. Limit it to 1st and 2nd preferences only.
I'm sure the counters want to strangle the people who put down lots of preferences.

Transferrable votes and electorates of 700,000 are not a good combination. Limit it to 1st and 2nd preferences only.
I'm sure the counters want to strangle the people who put down lots of preferences.

its a mess, quotas of 73,000 in dublin and 100,000+ in the south and north west constituencies points to an appalling electoral management. I think they had a judge as an adjudicator over the electoral commision. Surely someone numerate like an engineer or an accountant should be adjudicating over stuff like this, why do we always have to use judges?

England, Scotland and Wales use the D’Hondt system of PR. You vote for a party or an independent. The proportional allocation of seats is as fast as in the first past the post method.

England, Scotland and Wales use the D’Hondt system of PR. You vote for a party or an independent. The proportional allocation of seats is as fast as in the first past the post method.
Yes, we do not have a proportional representation system here as there is no such thing but rather many systems which seek to achieve a proportional representation outcome. We have a Single Transferable Vote system.

Yes, we do not have a proportional representation system here as there is no such thing but rather many systems which seek to achieve a proportional representation outcome. We have a Single Transferable Vote system.
Yes, I’m amazed to hear people say that we elect our president by PR, which is of course a complete contradiction in terms as there is only one. The president is elected by STV. I also detect a certain smugness that in some way our system is superior, at least to the British FPP system. It is certainly not the most efficient.

Yes, I’m amazed to hear people say that we elect our president by PR, which is of course a complete contradiction in terms as there is only one. The president is elected by STV. I also detect a certain smugness that in some way our system is superior, at least to the British FPP system. It is certainly not the most efficient.
Yep, I'm not a fan of our system. It results in a strong parliament and a weak government, allows the election of extremists and encourages parish-pump politics.

Back