Elderly people parking in parent & Child Spaces

liaconn

A friend of mine with a baby and a toddler has been giving out hell because she saw an elderly couple (she reckons in their 70s) parkeing in the Parent and Child place beside the door at her local supermarket and she had to park further away and guide the toddler and push the trolley back across the car park. She's saying she 'should have said something to them'. I reckon she should cop herself on and get over herself. Am I the only one who thinks she's being unreasonable?

If they did have parking spaces for the elderly, what marking would they put on them? A hunched figure with a walking stick?;)

I see alot of women w/o children parking in them as well. Elderly can be boisterous enough when they want so be careful, they are particularly militant when elbowing you out of the way in a bus queue!

A good lawyer could argue that the old woman was a mother and her husband had entered second childhood. Thereby qualifying for these much coveted spots.

To be honest, if I'm going shopping after work at around 7pm (when there aren't too many toddlers and babies out and about) and it's lashing rain I would park in them.

I reckon she should cop herself on and get over herself. Am I
the only one who thinks she's being unreasonable?

Agreed.

On balance, the elderly couple have more to benefit from a priority parking space than your friend, who presumably is younger and fitter.

To be honest, if I'm going shopping after work at around 7pm (when there aren't too many toddlers and babies out and about) and it's lashing rain I would park in them.

My husband once parked in one at 10.30pm in the lashing rain and security guard came over to give him grief. No sign of any security guard at 11am when I was manhandling 2 toddlers and a baby across the car park past all the adult-only cars parked in the spaces.
I would have no problem with elderly people using them.
Sybil

Only spaces for disabled people mean anything. I don't have a problem with old people parking in parent and child spots.

I approached a parent who had just parked in such a space who then pointed to the child seats in the rear. Sorry, I should say "empty" child seats in the rear.

Parents usually have buggies for children that can't walk. Children who can walk can walk... I don't see the point.

Parents usually have buggies for children that can't walk. Children who can walk can walk... I don't see the point.

I thought the point was that you had a wider parking space so you could swing the door open to get access to the child seat etc. Having said that has anyone seen the joke mother and child parking spaces in the Merrion Shopping centre.

I thought the point was that you had a wider parking space so you could swing the door open to get access to the child seat etc. Having said that has anyone seen the joke mother and child parking spaces in the Merrion Shopping centre.

I object to mother and child spaces as I am not allowed to use them when I bring my children to the shops.

A friend of mine with a baby and a toddler has been giving out hell because she saw an elderly couple (she reckons in their 70s) parkeing in the Parent and Child place beside the door at her local supermarket and she had to park further away and guide the toddler and push the trolley back across the car park. She's saying she 'should have said something to them'. I reckon she should cop herself on and get over herself. Am I the only one who thinks she's being unreasonable?

Yes tell her to cop on to herself, givng out about two elderly vulnerable people in their seventies, the exact people who worked so hard for our country and sacrificed so much. This young woman has no idea about sacrifice because it is all about me, me, me.

Wait till she is 70, I can only imagine what a a cranky old soul she will be that is if she ever manages to live to that age yet the years roll by very quickly.

Honestly I just can't believe what I am reading. :eek:

Yes tell her to cop on to herself, givng out about two elderly vulnerable people in their seventies, the exact people who worked so hard for our country and sacrificed so much. This young woman has no idea about sacrifice because it is all about me, me, me.
How do you know? They might be lazy cheating scroungers who lived off the state all their lives. Maybe it's the taxes paid from the young womans hard earned wages that keeps them in their state pensions?

In our local supermarket we have disabled spots, parent and child spots and spots for pregnant women right outside the supermarket. I imagine the majority of parent and children and pregnant women are much more mobile than elderly people in general so on that basis it doesnt really make much sense.

Given that my two are no longer babies I never park in the parent and child spots but plenty of people seem to think if they have a child anywhere up to 18 they should be allowed to park there.

Totally think mother/baby or pregnant car parking spaces are not necessary, parents with children are young and able to walk, as are their children. Same for pregnant women they are able bodied. Have no problem with these spaces being for older less able bodied people.

In fact I have parked in these spaces when it suits me. Do have children too who are now in their 20's and I managed without this type of parking which was not available then and without a car when they were young.

Before I had a baby, I would have said ' she should cop on to herself'. However, since some idiot parked 6 inches (I kid you not!!!) from my driver door and I had to stand in 23 degrees with a 3 month old (he would have cooked to death if I put him in the car parked in the sun without the aircon on) for about half an hour until she returned (and didn't even bother to say as much as sorry), I try to get into parent and child spaces as I do need to fully open the door to put the baby in and secure him in his seat.

As far as I am concerned, there is a reason why disabled and parent and child spaces are a little bit wider and they should be left for people they are intended for. An old person taking up a parent and child space is not right because a toddler whose mother parked on the other end of the carpark can very easily run in front of a (or behind the reversing) car as his mother is trying to push the trolley, look for the car and control a child at the same time.

A good lawyer would argue that none of these made up parking spaces on private land are enforceable.

Back