VHI Elderly Couple looking for value

Following on from making my own savings based on SnowyB's advice my parents Health care plan is up for renewal.

They are currently both on the VHI One Plan. Both are in their 70's and need good cover just in case. One parents has had heart issues in the past. Both are based in the Kerry region.

2 other siblings are on the VHI One Plan starter (both have medical cards so I am not sure if this plan is offering them any value?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi 0028673,

For your parents, I would highly recommend Laya Simply Connect plan, price 1100pa. I know it is 20 euro more expensive each but it is well
worth every penny. I am on this plan myself, if it helps. Details as follows;

1. Laya Simply Connect plan; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess 150 x 2 max for all
private hospital admissions per year (regardless how many overall) day case excess 50 per procedure. The main advantage of this plan is
that there is full cover for hip or knee replacement surgery in any private hospital. No excess or shortfall applies, unlike VHI One Plan.
A shortfall for this surgery is 3000 euro in a private hospital. Likewise cataract surgery is fully covered in any private hospital. This is all
very relevant for over 70s age group.
There is good day to day cover on this plan- refund of 50% of gp visits , consultants visits, etc.

[broken link removed]

For the siblings on One Plan Starter, this means if they need surgery or treatment in hospital, they would be on the same public waiting list
as people with no health insurance. This defeats the purpose of having health insurance in the first place.
I would consider plans with public and private hospital cover, so you have another option if required.

1 VHI One Plan 500; price 715pa; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital excess 500 x 2 max per year for all private
hospital admissions, day case excess 150 per procedure.

2. VHI One Plan 250; price 832pa; same as option 1 with a lower excess 250 x 2 for all private hospital admissions or 150 per day case.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowyb,
I am on the point of switching and was convinced by your comments about Simply Connect. I am 60 and have been with VHI for a long time. My partner is changing to VHI 0210 from 2612 and said there is a 500 cap n Simply Connect and thats a difference to the VHI. I like the 100% cover for orthopaedic but maybe I am still young yet - I have no existing problems thank God.
Any advice greatly appreciated
Liam

Hi Liam66,

There is a better alternative option than VHI 0210, details as follows;

1. VHI PMI 07 10; price 1188pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered. The difference between PMI 0210 is the inpatient excess on
PMI 07 10 which is just 150 x 1 max per year for all private or hi-tech admissions(regardless of how many per year). Day case excess in a private
or hi-tech hospital is just 50 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for
gp visits, consultants etc. - max refund per year 2000 of allowable expenses. 80% cover for hip or knee replacement surgery, also cataract surgery
in a private or hi-tech hospital. If you need this type of surgery, just be referred to Blackrock Clinic Dublin as they don't pass the shortfall charge
onto the patient.

[broken link removed]

Regarding Simply Connect plan, the 500 day to day limit means that the calculation is based on the following calculation;
50% of 1000 medical expenses = 500 per year.

Regards, Snowyb

Hi 0028673,

For your parents, I would highly recommend Laya Simply Connect plan, price 1100pa. I know it is 20 euro more expensive each but it is well
worth every penny. I am on this plan myself, if it helps. Details as follows;

1. Laya Simply Connect plan; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess 150 x 2 max for all
private hospital admissions per year (regardless how many overall) day case excess 50 per procedure. The main advantage of this plan is
that there is full cover for hip or knee replacement surgery in any private hospital. No excess or shortfall applies, unlike VHI One Plan.
A shortfall for this surgery is 3000 euro in a private hospital. Likewise cataract surgery is fully covered in

Thanks for all your help SnowyB. Would my parents have to wait 2 years to avail of the additional benefits of the laya plan? They are just a bit nervous about moving away from VHI.

Hi Snowb. Thanks for all your help. Would my parents be able to avail of the additional benefits of the laya plan now or would they have to wait 2 years? They are a bit nervous about moving away from VHI.

The 2 plans have similar cover so there is no 2 year waiting time. The extra day to day benefits(gp, physio etd) are allowable straight away,
no waiting.
VHI One Plan has 80% cover for hip or knee replacement surgery + cataract eye surgery in a private or hi-tech hospital so if they
are not already suffering from this type of ailment, then 100% cover will apply in any private or hi-tech hospital.

There is no need to be nervous about switching. If they stay with VHI One Plan and need a hip replacement in a private hospital, well then
they would end up paying 3000 shortfall. So, it makes total sense to switch to a plan with full cover, especially at their age when they could
require this type of surgery in the future.

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowb, Similar question to 0028673 regarding renewal and anxious about moving from VHI
Husband 65yrs-- needs cataract and knee surgery
Myself--- possible shoulder surgery
Based in Galway region
Would Laya Simply Connect plan be a better option as to the present vhi PMI 43 16
Would there be a waiting period in our case?

Last edited:
Hi Magda4711,

Yes, I would highly recommend Simply Connect plan as an alternative to VHI PMI 43 16.

Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 x 2 max per year for all
admissions, day case excess 50 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for gp, consultant visits, dental etc. Max day to day refund 50% of 1000 = 500 per year. Fully covered for hip, knee and shoulder replacement surgery in any private or hi-tech hospital - no excess, no shortfall. Fully covered for cataract surgery in any private or hi-tech hospital.

[broken link removed]

Strictly speaking, there is a 2 year waiting time applied to any pre-existing illnesses/conditions but only in respect of any extra cover on the
new plan. So the extras on Simply Connect plan, is 100% cover for hip, knee, shoulder and cataract surgery in any private or hi-tech hospital.
As your husband would be classed as having cataract and knee pre-existing conditions, the 2 year wait would apply to him in that regard.
He would still be covered under VHI PMI 43 16 plan while waiting. This would mean 80% cover for knee and cataract surgery.
The shortfall for knee replacement surgery in a private hospital is approx 3,000 euro.

However, a way of avoiding this charge, if surgery is to be done before 2 years waiting is complete, is to get a referral from the gp to an
orthopaedic consultant in Blackrock Clinic Dublin. This hospital does not pass the 3000 shortfall charge onto the patient. The same applies
for cataract surgery and your shoulder surgery.

Any new illnesses or conditions arising after your renewal will be fully covered on the new plan straight away, no waiting applies.
Full cover also applies to the day to day cover straight away.

Regards, Snowyb

Back