Eircom or Esat BT

Sparki74

Hi all,

I would really appreciate your advice. Planning to get the landline in because of the huge cost of O2 bills (moved to O2 from Meteor as O2 are the only operator with a good reception in our house but bills are very high). Have a new house in the countryside.

I have read that Esat BT can install line, but in doing that do you have to stay with them for a fixed period and also, what is their relationship with Eircom in terms of repairs, as they are the crew installing it rather than eircom. I know that if eircom were installing and there was a switch over to EsatBT, then Esat get eircom to fix any problems.

Or

Do you think it's safer to go with eircom, and then switch later if necesary?

Thanks for your help.

Esat BT can install the line but in practice don't choose to do this. Eircom have an obligation to do so, and very often there are free promotions so you could it for free and switch afterwards if you wish. I think most operators including eircom have minimum contract time

I have over 10 years working in telecommunications in ireland.

You are better of with eircom. they own the cables in the ground. so installation will be quicker.(esat have to get eircom to do it for them and they wont be to quick)if there is any problem eircom will fix there own faults quickly where as it will take time for esat to go through eircom. once eircom are installed, you can change the traffic to companies such as Euphony.10euros a month unlimitted national calls etc. you can have your line with eircom only line retal 20euros a month your calls with anyone else and your broadband with anyone else with no fixed contracts. strongly recommend Euphony.

I dont nor have i ever worked for any of the above companies. just trying to help.

Hi have also worked extensively in the telco industry in Ireland.

Personally I have a had a bt phone / 3mg broadband bundle from bt for the past 4 years for €50 per month.

This includes unlimited internet access and downloads and free local, national and UK calls at any time. It also includes line rental.

If Eircom can match this then why not go with them but I cant see it happening. Have had no faults within the last 4 years or I would have gone. No connections with either company by the way. LS.

I've had a painful experience leaving BT - asked them over 12 months ago to close my account as I was leaving the rented accommodation I was in - they returned my deposit and i thought that was that. Stupid me forgot to keep an eye on my bank statements though - they have continued to charge me for the line every 2 months since then - they have withdrawn nearly €1000 through direct debit in the interim. So be careful and keep an eye on their charges. Also in my experience their customer service leaves a little to be desired...

Back