EIRCOM losses/CGT

M

macca123

If i bought the min about of shares when eircom were trading, what would be my 'loss' today? I'm trying to work out how much i owe for CGT re First Active shares. And I have never 'written off the eircom losses'. Thanks in advance

Hi Macca - I think you'll need to give a bit more detail. Check out your old paperwork and see how many shares you bought, and at what price? Have you kept the Vodafone shares that you got? How much cash did you get when Eircell was sold off?

tax on first active

I too am trying to work out my tax on first active,
Am I correct in the following

amount of windfall received xxxxx
less CGT annual allowance 1270
less cost of extra shares purchased xxxx
less losses on Valentia/Eircom xxxx

remainder at 20% CGT due

Is there any multiplier for the ie cost of inflation for shares purchased? They were purchased at time of demut.
And finally, is the amount due by the end of Oct or can it be carried to next years tax form 12?

Thanks

tax on first active

Cuchullain,

If you purchased FA shares as well as getting free shares it is a bit more complicated. You would want to look at the examples on the revenue site at
[broken link removed]

first active

Thanks Occ: In my case the cash payment received the previous year came in well under the 1270 limit anyway, so I don't have to use any of the 'purchase' price in 2003. I did apply for more but FA only allocated me an extra 159 so I had only 654 altogether, But I am definitely not complaining. I took out a mortgage with FA around 1975/6 and cleared it off in 1989/90 but at a staff Christmas party one night in December I met a bloke from FA and ( I dont know how) this came up in conversation and he advised me to make sure I had at least £100 in my deposit account with them. I checked and I had only over £50 but thought nothing of it. I bumped into him again around Easter the following year and again he advised me to do something about it. I deposited £200 with them sometime in June if memory serves and the rest is history. The windfalls are just after paying for two university student fees and part campus fees for one. Not complaining. After eircom losses tax will be around €400.
Thanks again for reply

Re: first active

Quote:

"I met a bloke from FA and ( I dont know how) this came up in conversation and he advised me to make sure I had at least £100 in my deposit account with them"

Sounds like insider trading to me. Reckon that your CGT liability will look like small beer when you're banged up in the 'Joy.....

first active

0:The really good news is that I didn't know him at all! we were at one of those 'organised' Christmas partys run by hotels etc which any number of firms/shops/factories
can book. He was chummy with a few of our lads and as FA had only a small office in town they joined us once the tables were cleared for dancing etc. Lucky break. I have a mate who missed it by the skin of his teeth and even asked for the interest on his account to be re-checked to see if he qualified. He did'nt and promptly opened a nationwide account. On the same theme I also have a workmate whose mortgage was with FA and who had long cleared it but never bothered to change the insurance provider on the house, He also got the free shares ( twice in fact as he had remained a customer)
Any tips? I have an EBS account but would not be hopeful.
cheers

Back