Eircom Dialup Internet Access

N

ninsaga

...as was well posted elsewhere, elivefree dialup ceased to be free to Euphony customers since Nov 1st. Since then I have reverted back to Eircom for internet dialups only (the 1892150150 number)....however I find frequently during browsing sessions that the connection drops & I need to dial up again (sometimes even only after a few mins of connection).

Now this never happened when using elivefree. Is this a common problem that people experience with Eircom dialup? It may of course be a setting on the computer but I'd like to hear if others have this problem also.

ninsaga

why not stay with elivefree, use the 1891 lo-cost if in Dublin or Limerick.

cheaper than 1892 eircom numbers.

[broken link removed]

Thanls Irishpc... I'm not in Limerick or Dublin. I do see though that the elivefree number is 1.6c/min during peak times. It does not state what the off peak rates are though.

The peak rate is good v's the Eircom rate of 5c/min.

ninsaga

I do see though that the elivefree number is 1.6c/min during peak times. It does not state what the off peak rates are though.

I presume that the charge above (which seems to be excluding VAT by the way) refers to the [broken link removed] for access to 1981 ISP numbers which other telcos (e.g. UTV for sure) also impose? If so then the effective charges are as follows:

Excluding VAT:
Code:
Peak:     0.0268c/second = 1.61c/minute
Off-peak: 0.0133c/second = 0.80c/minute
Including VAT:
Code:
Peak:     0.0324c/second = 1.95c/minute
Off-peak: 0.0161c/second = 0.97c/minute

I just tried elive but while the 1890 number worked fine the 1891 number would not work for me. Any ideas why? When dialing up it gets as far as:

Verifying username and password

and after a short delay fails with the following error:

Error 718: the connection timed out waiting for a valid response from the remote computer.

More Info... tells me that a PPP exchange started byt failed due to the remote side not responding in time and VitalAgent tells me that the PPP PAP/CHAP authentication failed and simply suggests that I check the configured credentials.

Also - do they not operate a caching proxy server?

:\

Update: Oh! I did get in on 1891 this time but it seems that it's very hit and miss trying to connect on this low cost number. Anybody else had similar experiences with it?

Update 2: OK - it seems to be working more reliably now. I guess I'll stick with it and see how it goes. At least until UTV deliver my ADSL broadband trial in the next few weeks! :)

Update 3: Unfortunately connecting to the 1891 number has proved to be very hit and miss this evening. Might have to revert to UTV dial-up for the moment... :\

The Eircom pay as you go for dial up (1892 150 150) is....

5.07c/min peak
1.26c/min off peak & weekends

(VAT is included)

ninsaga

elive free

I have tried elive & really works well in my area.Thanks for the info.Incidently I have unchecked the "Log on to network" box (as with eircom -Properties-server types) & this speeds up things.

Re: elive free

Clubman - I did use the elivefree number on the past (the 021 number) & although the connection was reliable it was slower than Eircom ie 28k bps v's 33kbps...speaking of reliability the Eircom dialup just dropped again!!!!

Re: elive free

Funnily enough, when I did manage to connect to elive 1891... I did so at 48Kbps compared to 46.6Kbps on UTV with my crappy 56Kbps/V.90 WinModem (I used to get 52Kbps connections reliably with UTV but recently reinstalled my PC and guess that different versions of the drivers got installed and haven't bothered investigating further as I'm waiting on ADSL anyway). Apart from the higher connection speed ongoing throughput was correspondingly higher with elive compared to UTV. However the problem is that elive 1891... seems very unreliable to connect to so I have fallen back to using UTV again.

Back